Chapter 8: Be Here

I should have known.
I never should have left.
I knew she wasn't feeling well.
But she still insisted I go.
And for what?

I then felt Josh quickly put the car in drive and pull up to their house.
"You guys get out, Jaime and I are gonna follow them to the hospital." He snapped, turning back to them.
"Is.. is everything okay?" Jake asked. Josh waved him off, motioning towards their house. They didn't hesitate to quickly pile out of the car, rushing up their driveway.

I could feel my heart beating in my throat, my head spinning.
"It's gonna be okay." He said, reaching his arm behind my seat and quickly backing down the road to my house again. "Don't worry, it's gonna be okay."

I wanted nothing more than to believe him.

He threw the car in park and instantly hopped out, hastily making his way up the driveway and into my house. I don't know what came over me, but I just couldn't move. I was always the one who had to take care of everything, but I stayed frozen in place as the blinding lights glared through the car window.

Why was this happening?
Why did this keep happening?

It wasn't long before I saw two of the paramedics carrying my mom out on a stretcher, Josh following them closely. I finally managed to open the door when he ran back down to the car, practically pushing me back inside.
"It's okay, we're gonna follow them, alright?" I nodded, doing my best to hold in the tears as he ran back around to the drivers side.

The blaring sirens echoed down the street as we followed them on the way to the hospital. I kept my eyes forward, locked on the blurry lights that shone through the windshield, for a quick moment, resembling the beautiful red and blue fireworks from before. If only I had known then..

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Josh occasionally peeking over.
"Are you alright?" He finally asked. I nodded, still unsure of how I was feeling. How was I supposed to feel? It never got easier, no matter how many times I've been through this. I was just thankful that I didn't have to go through it alone this time. I reached over for his hand, tightly intertwining our fingers.

"W-we're.. we're almost there. Don't worry, everything's gonna be okay." He managed. But I knew he couldn't promise that. No one could. Even still, I was happy that I at least had him here with me.

When we got to the hospital, he pulled in behind the ambulance, hesitating before letting go of my hand, and quickly making his way around to the passenger's side.
"Wait here, okay? I'll go check on her, I'll be right back." I nodded, holding my stare on him as he flashed me a gentle smile, his eyes lingering on me for a moment before rushing into the building.

I watched him as he rushed inside, following the paramedics as they carried her stretcher through the doors of the emergency room. I couldn't even tell you how many times I had been through this before, but every single time.. alone.

It was like time didn't exist at the hospital. The only indicator of time passing was the sun finally peeking its way through the blinds of the waiting room windows, gracefully lighting up what was once overflowing in glaring florescence; minutes dragging on for hours when you're anxiously anticipating news that could change your entire life.

I snapped out of my anxious daze as he eventually made his way over, sitting down close to me. He put his hand out again, making it available for me to grab if need be, or so I told myself. I took the opportunity to be as close to him as possible while I could, without there being any questions. I moved my hand over his, gently rubbing my thumb across his palm before intertwining our fingers again. Peeking back up at him, I saw a smile escape his lips, as big as a situation like this would allow.