Chapter 6: Fireworks

As we pulled into the parking lot, I could already see the bright lights off in the distance, making the sky glow with such beautiful reds and yellows and blues. It was one of my favorite parts of summer; all of us piling into the car, riding the rides until we were nauseous, stuffing our faces with cotton candy and funnel cake and then marveling together at the fireworks at the end of the night.

Without fail, we went every year, though the company had changed a bit over time. The parents eventually stayed home once the boys got their licenses and started to bring girls around. I always dreaded the day I would get into the car and there would be someone else in the passenger seat. But Josh never brought anyone else. So, I was thankful I always had my own someone to go on rides with.

My favorite someone.

Josh and I trailed behind as I enviously watched the guys walk hand in hand with their dates towards the ticket booth. I peeked up at him, never sure of what to do when it was just the two of us in a situation like this.

He shoved his hands into his pockets.
I did the same.

He then stepped in front of me as we approached the booth, pulling out his wallet.
"Two please."
"Oh, you don't have to-"
"You know I always get your ticket." He said, smiling back at me. I nodded, feeling my face get hot.
"O-okay."

Throughout the years, his mom had always given him extra money to cover my ticket since my mom and I could barely afford to do things like this. As we got older, I just assumed it would stop, but he always insisted, even when it was now coming out of his own pocket.

"So, where are we headed first?" Josh asked, turning towards the rest of the group.
"Well, we were gonna head over towards the games for a little while, and then try to get a good spot on the ferris wheel for the fireworks." Jake said, wrapping his around his date. She smirked up at him, playfully hitting his chest. My stomach dropped.

The ferris wheel. Everyone knew the ferris wheel was where you went to make out with your date, and how badly I wanted to be one of those girls that got to sit at the very top as those fireworks went off, all the while getting to feel fireworks of my own.

"Oh.." Josh said, understanding what he meant. "We'll, uh.. we'll catch up with you guys later then." He looked over at me, motioning the other way. I nodded, following him closely.

It was amazing how when you were single, all you saw were couples. It felt like not that long ago we were all just kids, running around together, seeing who could win the biggest prize, now if you didn't have someone to win one for you, it felt like the end of the world. I hated how it seemed like that's all anyone cared about anymore.

Maybe it was just because I felt left out. Because I knew if I had who I wanted, I'd want the world to know it too.

We walked in silence for a bit, making our way through the booths, becoming engulfed in the various smells of fried foods and mouth watering sweets.
"Hey, you hear that?" He said, finally breaking the silence. He motioned up towards the speakers above us.
"It's from the playlist." I smiled, feeling my cheeks burn. He nodded.

It was one of my favorites.

Josh had created what he called "the perfect driving playlist" for the days and nights we'd spend together aimlessly driving around town, just talking, daydreaming about what life would be after school, what college would be like, what was going to happen with their band..