Chapter 72: Loved You Too

After what felt like hours of just laying together, cuddled in his arms with the occasional kiss or two, I could see his eyelids start to get heavy, despite how hard he tried to keep them open.

"If you're tired, you can go.. if you want." I muttered, peeking up at him. He shook his head, giving me a gentle smile as he nuzzled his face into my neck.
"Can I stay here tonight?" He asked, his lips now gently grazing against my skin. My grip on him got tighter, pulling him in closer to me.

"You're not gonna be comfortable in that." I said, lightly running my fingers up and down his arm as I felt my eyelids start to get heavier too. I could feel his lips curl into a smile.
"Well, I'm sure you have something I could change into, right?" I bit down on my lip, nodding.
"If you want."
"Oh, I want." He laughed, wrapping his arm around me, pulling me up against him.
"Alright, but you're gonna have to let me go first." I giggled, holding on tighter, not wanting to let go either. I felt him sigh, shaking his head.

I wished I could live within this moment forever.

"So.. have we figured out what we're gonna do once your mom comes home?" He asked, slowly sliding his hand into mine, intertwining our fingers.
"No.." I sighed. "But.. I don't see her having a problem with you coming over."
"It's the staying over I'm concerned about." He laughed, gently pulling me into a tender kiss.
"You're just gonna have to be okay with leaving." I laughed, leaning my forehead against his. He shook his head, staring back at me with tired eyes.

I finally maneuvered out of his grip, climbing out of bed and going over to my closet, trying to find something for him to wear. After flipping through, I finally found and oversized band t-shirt and a pair of baggy sweatpants. He smirked back up at me as I handed them to him.

"Since when do you like Metallica?" He asked, inspecting my shirt before tossing his off onto the ground. I rolled my eyes, sitting back down across from him.
"It was my dad's." I said softly. His face dropped a bit, hesitating before putting it on.
"It's okay." I added. "He wouldn't mind." He held his stare on me for a moment before carefully pulling it over his head, reaching out for me again. I crawled over, cuddling back into his arms.

"Maybe you'll play with them one day." I giggled to myself, hiding my face in his chest. He sighed, running his fingers through my hair.
"You think a little too highly of us. I'll be happy just to see you wearing our merch one day." He laughed, pulling me in closer, kissing my forehead. I shook my head, wrapping my arms around him.
"I don't think so, I think you're gonna be great." His smile grew as he reached over, caressing my face and pulling me into a long, tender kiss.

"Oh, I like you." He sighed, flashing me a wide grin. I felt my heart jump as a smile escaped my lips, unable to contain my giddy laughter.
"Is it because I compliment you?" He shook his head, pulling me back into another kiss.
"Only one of the many, many reasons, Jaime." He said softly, holding his stare on me. I could tell he was thinking about something, unable to hide his expression when the gears were turning. I reaching over for his hand, intertwining our fingers again.

"What are you thinking about?" I finally asked. He gave me a gentle smile, his eyes still unsure.
"Jaime, w-what happened to your dad?" He asked timidly, unsure if this was forbidden territory. I guess after all these years, we had never really talked about my dad. For no reason in particular on my end, but I could see how some people might feel uncomfortable, having knowing what happened. I cuddled closer as he wrapped his arm around me, pulling me in.

"Well, um.. he got really sick. It happened really fast. But.. he passed away before we moved here. I think that's why my mom wanted to move. Too many memories in our old house, which I understand. Sometimes I miss them, but I knew it was for the best. For her, especially." He nodded, gently rubbing his fingers across my palm.

"What was he like?" I couldn't help but smile.
"He was the best dad in the world. I remember all the kids in the neighborhood were jealous because he'd always play with us outside, and then he'd do whatever I wanted to do, princesses, tea parties, you name it. He was just.." I stopped, feeling tears come to my eyes.

"I'm sorry." He said. "We don't have to talk about it, I was just wond-"
"No, it's okay. I.. I like talking about him. I just.. I miss him." I felt him nod, pulling me closer, gently kissing the top of my head. I squeezed his hand tighter.
"And even when I was younger, he.. he showed me how a girl should be treated. The way he spoiled my mom, it was like.. right out of a movie." I sat up, now turning around to face him. His smile grew as I got more excited.

"I remember this one time, for their anniversary, he stood outside of their bedroom window holding their boom box over his head playing her their favorite song. At the time, I didn't really understand it, I just saw how happy it made her, and then they watched her favorite movie together that night, and I saw the scene where the guy did that too and.. it all made sense. I just.. I loved their love. And sometimes.. I get sad that my mom never found that again, but I think.. she knew she never would. My dad was.. one in a million, and.. once you've had the best, well.. what else is there?"

"He sounds great." He finally sighed, waiting for me to be finished. I nodded.
"Yeah.. he was. He was into music too. Nothing specific, just.. everything. There were instruments all over the house, always music playing, it's.. all I've ever known, I guess." He flashed me a wide grin, staring back at me with that same dazed look in his eyes. I felt my cheeks burn.

"I'm sorry that I never got to meet him." He said. I nodded.
"Me too." I said softly, crawling back into his arms. He pulled me up against him, hugging me tight, kissing the top of my head again. "I think that you guys would have gotten along great. You two would have had so much to talk about, and.. he would have been so excited, about you going on tour. I wouldn't have been surprised if he tried to come with you." I laughed.
"And you know what, I would have let him.. if it meant having you come along too."
"But.. then again, if you think about it.. if he was still here.. my mom and I wouldn't have moved and.. you and I.. we would have never met." My heart dropped at the thought. I couldn't even picture a world that he wasn't a part of. I felt him shake his head.

"I like to think that.. we would have found our way to each other someway or another. Maybe I would have wound up opening for his band." He laughed. I peeked up at him, trying to contain my smile, thankful that he was able to make me feel.. okay talking about things like this. Jake and I had never talked about things like this before, so getting to see this side of him felt.. refreshing.

"Maybe you're right." I sighed, resting my head on his chest. I felt his fingers slowly glide under my shirt, lightly tracing up and down my spine as my eyelids got heavier and heavier.
"But.. you would have loved him, and.. I know he would have loved you too."