Chapter 54: Just Once

The next morning I woke up to the feeling of my phone vibrating under my pillow. Before even opening my eyes, I felt around for it, finally getting it to stop.

I couldn't believe it was already 1:00PM.
And I had 4 missed calls, all from Josh.

Hey, haven't heard from you yet, hope you're okay but you're probably still sleeping. Call me when you wake up, okay, I love you.

I'd have to call him back, but I really wasn't sure what I'd say. All I could think about was last night. I couldn't remember the last time Jake and I had talked like that, and now all I wanted was to end every night like that.

And then I saw that he had texted me.

Jake: I missed this. Sweet dreams, Jaime. <3

My heart jumped. He must have sent it after I had fallen asleep. It was probably for the best that I hadn't seen it, because I'm sure we would have dragged it out at least another hour of more back and forth, telling each other to finally go to bed, despite how badly neither of us wanted the conversation to end.

Jaime: I did too. <3 I hope you slept well.

I didn't have to wait long for a reply.

Jake: I didn't actually lol my sleep schedule is now ruined thanks to you.
Jaime: sorry lol won't happen again.
Jake: oh no, please let it happen again.

I couldn't contain my giddy grin, feeling my face get hot.

Jaime: how about tonight?
Jake: it's a date :)

My heart jumped.
A date.

Jake: and I still have to make that necklace for you.
Jaime: so you'll have to come and get your pick.
Jake: that's true, if only you didn't live SO far away lol

I felt my body get hot, my heart start beating faster. I knew that would mean he would have to come over, and as badly as I wanted him to..

Jake: so what are your plans for today?

I really didn't have much time to think about that yet, remembering that I still had to call Josh back. But after everything, I just wanted to go see my mom again. I needed to talk about this with someone.

Jaime: I'll probably head back up to the hospital.
Jake: How's your mom doing?
Jaime: She's been doing okay, but I still worry.
Jake: I understand. Well if you ever need anyone to talk to.. I'm sure she'll listen lol

I hated how easy it was for him to make me laugh, especially about things like this.

Jake: But seriously though, you can talk to me about anything.

I wish that was true.

Jaime: thank you <3 you can talk to me about anything too.
Jake: yeah we'll see lol

And then my phone started to ring again, yanking me right back down to reality.
"Hey." I said, finally sitting up.
"There you are." Josh said cheerfully. "I was starting to worry about you."
"I'm okay, just.. didn't sleep very well. Or.. rather.. just couldn't sleep, I guess."
"Neither could I. We could have stayed up together if you called me."

I bit down on my lip, not sure how to respond, still not entirely sure how I was feeling about everything. This would be so much easier if he did something wrong, but.. he didn't. He never did anything wrong which only left me feeling like everything was my fault. Because how could any normal person not be able to find complete happiness in someone like him? He was what girls dreamt of, and here I was.. ruining everything, like always.