Chapter 30: What If

I couldn't contain my beaming grin as I made my way back into my bedroom, happily twirling around before plopping down on my bed. All I wanted was for it to be tomorrow already, just so I could see him again. I kept replaying every touch, every kiss over and over in my head, unable to decide which was best, each one making me fall for him more and more.

And as much as I wished, just for one night I could have avoided the hospital, I was happy to have been able to share it with my mom, who was probably more excited about this than I was. I know that she worried, that one day I would be left all by myself, and all she wanted was to make sure I was taken care of.

I then looked over at the sound of my phone.
Was it Josh already?

Jake: I heard about your mom. I'm glad she's okay. Please let me know if you ever need anything. I'm always here for you, Jaime.

My heart jumped, smiling at the thought of Josh already telling him about our night.

This was the first time I had heard from Jake in a long time. Him and I used to be closer, but then as he started going out more and more, him and I began to drift apart, which hurt sometimes, but I understood. And it was because of that, Josh started coming over more so.. I didn't mind too much. But there were still times when I missed him.

Jaime: thank you, jake xo

I remember the first time I ever laid eyes on the both of them. I nervously watched from the backseat as we followed the moving van, eventually parking in front of our new house. It was much smaller than our old one, but I just hoped we still had a yard and kids around the neighborhood for me to play with. Being an only child was so lonely sometimes, and ever since my dad left, all I really had was myself to keep me company since my Mom was working all the time.

I looked around as she helped me out of the backseat, handing me my backpack with my toys.
"Hold onto this tight, okay? I don't know how long until we'll be able to get everything else unpacked." I nodded, staying close to her.

Looking around, I eventually saw a little boy running out from his house, quickly making his way over. I hid further behind my mom's leg.
"Hi!" He eventually said, now out of breath, holding his hand out to me. I looked down at it, and back up to my mom who gave me a smile and a reassuring nod. I hesitated before finally reaching out and shaking it.

"Hi, my name is Jaime." I said softly, now noticing another boy standing behind his mom's leg. I felt my face get hot.
"I'm Josh. What kind of games do you like to play?" He asked. I had really wished there would have been some girls for me to play with, but I wasn't going to be picky about friends, especially not when they were already so nice. And he didn't seem to care that I was a girl either, which was a nice change from the boys at my other school who were all mean and chased us around, trying to pull our hair and push us down.
"Um.. all kinds."
"Okay great! We can play all the time now." I couldn't help but smile, nodding. Maybe moving wouldn't be so bad after all.

I looked back over at the other boy, still nervously peeking out at me from behind their mom's leg. I felt my heart start to beat faster, also wanting to hide away now. What was happening?

"Who's that?" I finally asked, wanting him to come over and talk to me. He had such big eyes that never seemed to stray away from mine. I couldn't look away either.
"That's my twin brother, Jake." Josh said simply. I giggled to myself, unable to contain my smile.

Jake.
He was.. cute.

"Why is he hiding?" I asked, starting to make my way over to him. Josh shrugged, moving in front of me.
"He's just shy." I looked back at him, giving him a timid wave before he finally started to peek further out, now smiling back at me. My heart jumped, another giddy laugh slipping out.