Chapter 88: Needed to Know

Jake's P.O.V

As I was cleaning up the garage after practice, I heard my phone go off. Peeking over, I couldn't help but smile seeing Jaime's name across the screen. I was so excited to go over tonight. It was amazing how nice it was, not having to do anything with the person you love, just getting to lay in their arms until you fell asleep. There was no where else I'd rather be.

And then I read her text, and my stomach dropped.

Jaime: Hey, Josh asked me to help him film some more and we're going swimming down by the river. Let me know what you're up to. <3

Of course he'd look for any excuse to see her without me. That's probably where he ran off to in such a hurry.

Jake: Okay, I'll come meet up with you guys later. I love you <3

This would at least give me enough time to head out and pick us up something to eat. As much as I loved to spoil her by taking her out, I knew that she would much prefer a night in, just the two of us.

She was just.. simple.
And I loved that about her.
Knowing she was just happy.. with me.
She didn't need anything else.
So.. neither did I.

After I had everything put away, I hopped in my car, speeding off down the road to the Chinese restaurant in town. She had mentioned the other day how much she was craving it so I figured it would be a nice surprise.

While I waited for it to be ready, I slowly wandered down the sidewalk, browsing in every window I passed until I came to the jewelry store on the corner. I hesitated for a moment before going in, jumping at the sound of the loud bell overhead when I opened the door. The woman behind the counter turned to face me, flashing me a wide grin.

"Hi! Can I help you with anything?" She asked cheerfully. I awkwardly shoved my hands into my pockets, looking around. I wasn't sure what the protocol was in a place like this. I had never been in one before. I had never.. felt the need.

"Um.. I.. I'm.. looking for.. a gift." I finally said, going over to the counter.
"Oh, lovely. What kind of gift? Who is it for?" I felt my cheeks burn, trying to contain my smile.
"My girlfriend. I'm.. I'm going away for a while and.. well, I want to give her something, to have while I'm gone."
"Well, that's very sweet. What were you thinking?" I bit down on my lip, looking through the glass cases. I had never seen her wear rings, and she already had my guitar pick necklace.

"Maybe.. a bracelet." I decided. She nodded, guiding me further down.
"Okay, so does she prefer silver or gold?"
"I think.. silver would be nice." I said, figuring that it could match the necklace I gave her.
"Okay. Here are our silver bracelets. Were you thinking diamonds?"
"Um.." I stuttered, scanning through them, until my eyes finally stopped on a plain silver bracelet with a small blank plate and a singular diamond at the end.
"Can I see that one?" I asked, pointing it out. She nodded, going into the case.

"Now these are nice because you can have them engraved."
"Okay.. y-yeah. I'll take that one."
"Great. And what a lot of couples also do is they get two, especially if they're long distance, so they can have matching ones." I loved the idea of us having something together like that.
"Then I'll take two."

She reached under the counter, pulling out a piece of paper, sliding it over to me.
"Okay, now we'll just need you to write out what you want engraved here and then I can get that started for you." I thought about it for a moment before finally writing something down, sliding it back over to her. She read it with a smile, and then typed it in.
"Can you.. just put that on her's though? I'd.. rather come back and have her pick out what she wants on mine." She nodded, wrapping mine up in a separate bag and sliding it over to me.
"No problem. It'll be done in just a moment."