Chapter 59: The More You Know

The drive home was quiet, the skies gradually getting darker and darker as the roaring thunder rumbled in the distance. Tiny droplets eventually flooded the windshield making it impossible to see even a few feet in front of us as the skies opened up and we were left submerged within a resonant downpour. But all the while, as the world outside seemed to be drowning in the summer storm, we sat peacefully together, admiring the hysteria against the quiet music he had playing in the background.

As we pulled back up to his house, I saw his face drop. The light in their garage was on, and we could already hear the banging of Danny's drums as Sam proceeded to tune his bass. He turned back to me, biting down on his lip.

"I forgot about practice today." He sighed, giving me a sympathetic smile.
"You forgot about practice?" I mocked. He shrugged.
"Well, I was a little distracted.." He muttered, his eyes now moving down to my neck. I felt my heart jump as he reached out for his pick, lifting it out from under the collar of my dress, letting it hang on my chest.
"You're wearing it." He said cheerfully, his smile growing.
"Of course I'm wearing it." I then went into my bag, pulling out my pink scrunchie.
"Here.. now you have something of mine too." I reached out for his hand, pulling it onto his wrist.
"Thank you." He laughed, peeking back up at me. "I love it."

Looking back outside, I realized the rain wasn't going to let up any time soon, wondering if this would put a damper on our plans.

"Do you.. want to come in and watch?" He asked.
"You don't think that would look a little.. suspicious?"
"I do, but.. I kinda.. still want you there anyway." He mumbled, trying to contain his smile.
"Kinda?" I asked, peeking up at him. He smirked back at me, rolling his eyes.

He was quiet again, looking back out at the field behind their house as the rain continued to crash against the windshield.

"Well, since we're here.." He started. "I think that we should probably talk about.. what's happening here.. you know.. with us." I felt my heart start beating faster, a smile escaping my lips. This was the first time had ever actually addressed that there was an us.
"And.. what's happening with us?" I asked, turning to face him.
"I think you know what's happening with us, Jaime." He said softly. I nodded, holding my stare on him.
"Alright then.. what do you want to talk about?" He sighed, holding his stare on me as if now picking his words carefully.

"You know that.. you can't stay in my room, right? There's no way that.. he won't hear you. So.. you're gonna have to get used to me sneaking over.. every night." He laughed. I nodded.
"I don't mind you coming over." I said, reaching out for his hand. "I'd love to see you every night." His smile grew as he slowly intertwined our fingers. "But.. what about when my mom finally comes home?"
"We'll cross that bridge when we get there." He said, leaning in closer to me. He leaned against the arm rest, propping his chin onto his hand as he held his stare on me. How easy it was to get lost in those eyes.

I hated the idea of us sneaking around, but deep down I knew it was for the best. And as much as I wanted the whole "boyfriend" experience with him, I would do whatever it took just to be around him.

"And.. what about when.. you guys leav-" He shook his head, bringing my hand up to his lips, gently kissing it.
"Let's not think about that right now. We still have plenty of time together, Jaime." Together. I didn't want to think about it either, but I knew that the closer him and I got, the harder it was going to be to say goodbye to him. I wouldn't be surprised if when the time finally came, I just.. couldn't. And I would wind up going with him after all.

That would make things a little harder to keep just between us though.

"What about when we're all hanging out together?" I asked. "Because.. Josh still wanted to see me.. as friends." I then saw his jaw clench, his grip on me get tighter.
"I mean.. y-you can do whatever you want, I guess." He muttered, his voice trailing off as he avoided my eyes. I tilted his chin back up to face me.
"Jake, why is it so hard for you to just.. tell me how you feel?" His cheeks burned red as he held his stare on me.
"I.. I don't know what you're talking about." I sighed, rolling my eyes as I gently pulled my hand away, leaning back in my seat. His face dropped as he reached back out for me again.

"Okay, okay.." He said, holding on tight. "I.. I would just.. appreciate.. if you only saw him.. when.. we were all together, okay? N-not.. not alone. Alright? Happy?"
"Why?" I asked, smirking back at him. He scrunched up his face, his cheeks burning bright red now.
"You know why, Jaime." He sighed, avoiding my eyes again.
"Okay fine. But.. what about you?"
"What about me?"
"Well, if you don't want me spending time with him alone, then I don't want you to see anyone else either." He smiled back at me, shaking his head.
"Jaime, I don't want anyone else." He said simply. My heart jumped.
"Okay."

We were both quiet again as we brought our attention back outside. It was always so beautiful here when it rained, the dazzling deep greens of the trees, the intoxicating scent of summer being washed away, leaving room for new beginnings.

"So.. where are you gonna take me?" I finally asked, turning to face him again. He smirked back at me, motioning out towards the tree in the field, the tree where he always took me, where he played for me, where we sat together that night, where we had our actual first kiss. Together.
"Well, I was going to take you out back by our tree, but.."

Our tree.

"Rain has never stopped us before." I laughed, hastily hopping out of the car. He flashed me a wide grin as he immediately followed, chasing me as we kicked off our shoes, quickly running through their back yard, both of us trying our best to stay out of sight of the garage door.

I heard his quiet laugher gaining on me until I finally felt his hands grip my waist, yanking me back towards him. I let out a bellowing howl of laughter as he swiftly covered my mouth, giggling in my ear.
"Shh!" He whispered, shaking his head with a playful grin, turning me around to face him as he leaned back against the trunk of the tree.

The leaves above shielded us from the storm that continued just outside, leaving us alone in what was now our own little sanctuary of budding love.

Then something came over me, something so strong, so familiar that washed away all of my fears, all of my doubts, leaving me with nothing but an overwhelming sense of serenity within him. I reached up, gently holding his face in my hands as he stared back at me with those eyes, those eyes that I've found myself willingly drowning in so many times, never once wanting to reach the surface as each wave crashed over me, keeping me trapped within his tenacious undertow.

And then.. I kissed him.

I felt him jump, his body tensing up as if caught by surprise, but eventually relaxing within my grip as his hands moved to my waist, pulling me up against him. He kissed me back harder, his damp hair now falling into his face, until finally I couldn't contain my beaming grin, backing away, leaning my forehead against his. As I looked back up at him, he flashed me a smile, just as overjoyed as me.

"You kissed me." He sighed, his eyes locked in a love struck gaze as they made their way back down to my lips again. I nodded, feeling my face get hot as I pushed the wet hair out of his face. I reached down, pulling my scrunchie from his wrist, and tied it up into a bun for him.
"Yeah." I shrugged, unable to contain my smile. "I guess I just.. jumped." He shook his head, his smile growing into a beaming grin.
"Do it again." He exhaled, tangling his fingers in my hair. I didn't hesitate wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him back into another passionate kiss.