Chapter 134: Something Happened

It wasn't long before everyone else met us back outside, Josh lingering behind, avoiding my eyes as he made his way directly towards the van. I hated how just when it felt like we were finally okay again, something else had to happen.

Something typically always being Jake noticing, and putting an end to it as fast as he could.

"So, when do we get to stay at a hotel?" I asked, taking Jake's hand, slowly following the rest of the group. He smirked back at me, gently swinging our arms.
"You know what happened the last time we stayed at a hotel." He laughed. I bit down on my lip, trying to contain my grin as my cheeks burned.
"I know." I muttered. "That's why I want to." He shook his head, giggling to himself.
"We still have a few more shows until we have a day off, and then we'll have a night at a hotel in that city before leaving the next morning."

It was crazy just how long they were expected to live out of a van, and to think this was normal. I don't know how they haven't come up with a better system by now.
"Can you hurry up and make it big already so you can have a bus?" I asked, playfully nudging him. He instantly pulled me back in, wrapping his arm around me, kissing the top of my head.
"What do think I've been trying to do? I told you, I only want the best for you, and if you're gonna be out on the road with me, I'm gonna make sure you get the best." I couldn't help but smile, leaning my head on his shoulder.

The idea of them making it big was never farfetched to me. I know it was gonna happen, it was just a matter of when it happened for them, never if.

When we got back to the van, Jake slid into the backseat first, once again leaving me in the middle. I hesitated for a moment, almost asking him if we could switch, but decided against it. That would only make it seem more suspicious.

"Come here." He said, flashing me a tired grin, reaching his arms out for me. How could I ever deny that? I quickly climbed in, sliding all the way over, cuddling into his arms. Sam and Leah made their way into the back row as Danny hopped into the driver's seat with Ayla, leaving Josh to climb in next to me.

All I wanted was to avoid what happened last night, just wanting tomorrow to come as fast as possible. I nuzzled my face into Jake's neck as he pulled me closer, feeling myself drift off to sleep in a matter of minutes.

The Next Morning

I was shaken awake as we pulled into the parking lot of the next venue, sitting up and letting my eyes adjust, I could see it was much smaller than the last. It was so weird waking up and not knowing where you were. I wondered how anyone could ever get used to this.

Reaching over, I grabbed Jake's hand, gently intertwining our fingers as I lied back down, leaning my head on his shoulder again. It didn't take him long to shift closer, letting out a deep sigh as I felt his lips gently graze against my forehead.
"Hey.." He whispered, his eyes still closed as he gave me a tired smile. "How'd you sleep?"
"Better." I giggled, curling up under his arm.
"Good." He finally sat up, looking around as I felt the van come to a halt.

"We're here!" Danny sang. "Now one of you better make room cause I need to sleep." Jake sighed, rubbing his eyes and running his fingers through his hair.
"Here, you can come back here. We're gonna take a look around." He held on tighter to my hand, helping me out of the van. I zipped up my jacket, it now getting colder and colder by the day, which meant the holidays would be getting closer.

The end of the year was always my favorite, everyone in the neighborhood all coming together, like our own chosen family. Every year, I couldn't wait to go next door to help their family decorate, always wondering if I would meet one of them under the mistletoe, only to be left disappointed, year after year.