Episode 4 - Death's Doorstep

Start from the beginning

"It must be after Cyrus Borg!" says Lloyd.

"Follow it!"

The snake monster has cornered Borg. Cole quickly jumps into action, shielding the inventor.

"Okay, big guy, that is as far as you go!"

The snake pays him no mind and tosses him aside. Two more snake warriors fall from the broken skylight, blocking us at the entrance.

"Zane, get Borg out of here," I say, summoning dark balls of energy to my fists. "We'll deal with the samurai."

"But you'll need my battle skills," he argues.

"Zane. My creator needs you too," Pixal says. Zane jumps into action.

The rest of us keep the snakes busy. Six versus three: two people per snake. Jay and Nya take on one, Cole and Kai take on, and Lloyd and I fight the third. He swings his sword, slicing a few snakes in the stomach, but the beast recovers quick. I throw a ball of energy at it and it explodes. But theses snakes are resilient and slither back together not a moment later.

The battle leads us outside. The snake warriors are attempting to follow Zane; we've got to keep them away.

"Guys! I know how to stop these things!" exclaims Jay. "We gotta keep the snakes from getting back into the armor and reforming!"

"No kidding," Cole growls as he punches a Samurai straight in the face, sending the snakes flying apart. "Any idea how?"

"Nya, use your Water power!"

Nya sprays the remaining snakes as well as the ones Cole just destroyed, but the snakes still slither frantically for the armor.

"No good," says Kai. "Those snakes can swim."

"Not in this pool," Jay says with a laugh. He charges the water using his lightning, shocking the slithery fiends, forcing them to scatter. "Look, guys. Electric eels!"

"Guys, it's working!" says Lloyd.

"And I thought unpacking was tiring," says Jay, relinquishing his power and slumping his shoulders.

"Nice job," I say, patting him on the back. "They're gone."

"For now," says Kai. "But I wonder, who were they?"

"Good question," says Lloyd. "Zane can you analyze?" Silence. "Oh, right, he's with Cyrus Borg. Come on. Let's go get them."

The six of us walk to the ally Zane took Borg down. It's quite a dark street. The buildings effectively block the sun when, especially now that it's almost sunset. Zane and Borg are nowhere to be found.

"Zane?"

"It's safe!" shouts Cole. "You can come out now. Mr Borg?"

"Zane?"

"Hey," says Cole, bending down and picking up a cracked watch. "Cyrus Borg's BorgWatch, but no Cyrus Borg."

What I see up ahead chills me to the bone. Jay spots it too. "Zane!"

"Oh, no," Cole says so quiet that I almost don't hear.

"No, Zane," Nya cries, squatting down beside him.

I blink away the tears that well up in my eyes. "C'mon, guys. We gotta get him back home."

         ~

"I fear I am not well," says Uncle Wu as my mother pours him another cup of tea. "During my battle with Acronix, he hit me with the time blade."

I sit back in my chair, heaving a sigh. "And the effects it's having?"