Episode 4 - How to Kill a Ghost

"Awe, they're kinda cute."

"Don't be so loud, Jay, or you might wake them."

"Too late," I say, opening my eyes to glare at the two boys.

"We're sorry Tasha," Zane says. "It was Jay's idea."

"Hey! Zane! Snitches get stitches!

"Would you guys shut up! I'm trying to sleep," Cole groans, burying his face in my hair in an attempt to block out the sun's blinding morning rays.

"I don't think Jay has ever been quiet in his life," I say, smirking.

Jay crosses his arms in a pout. "Now you're just being mean."

"It's what you get for waking me up."

"Forget that. Are you two dating?" Zane asks.

Cole looks up from my shoulder. "What makes you ask that?"

"Jay and I woke up to find you two snuggling in Cole's tent."

"No, we are not dating," I say with finality. "Cole was just . . . being a good friend."

"Well, good friend or not, Kai wouldn't be too happy if he saw," Jay says matter of factly.

I narrow my eyes. "Kai and I have been broken up for nine months. He doesn't get to have an opinion."

Jay, Cole, and Zane don't respond, but they all share a look. I pretend not to notice as I wriggle out of Cole's arms. I crawl out of the tent and stretch.

"What's for breakfast?"

"Your mom's cooking eggs," Jay says.

"Wait, mom?"

Then I spot her crouched over last nights fire, her grey hair sparkling in the sunshine. She turns around when I call her name and smiles.

"Good morning, Tasha," she says.

"Mom!" I run and give her a tight hug. She laughs and hugs me back. "I'm glad you're safe," I whisper.

"I am too," she says back. "Are you hungry?"

"Starving."

"So have you figured out what the pictures mean yet?" Cole asks, sitting down next to me.

"Only the first one," Mom replies, handing each of us a plate of scrambled eggs.

"Well, what is it?" Zane says somewhat impatiently.

"It's the symbol for Airjitzu," she says.

"And how close are you to discovering the others?" Uncle inquires.

"It's hard to say," she says with a shrug. "As far as I knew, the tomb was only a fable, until I saw what's on the staff."

"Does she know what the symbol means?" Kai asks, making me jump. I hadn't seen him join us. Cole eagerly answers him and Kai looks perplexed. "Airjitzu?" he wonders aloud.

"A lost martial art created by Sensei yang, who passed on years ago," Mom explains. "If mastered it allows one to temporarily take flight."

"You hear that, Kai? We get to fly!" Jay cheers.

"You can already do that with your dragons," I say, raising an eyebrow.

"Shut up, Tasha! Ours doesn't work all the time like yours!"

I stick my tongue out at him and he does the same thing back.

"You haven't found it yet," Uncle says, disregarding mine and Jay's face-making. "The scroll of Airjitzu is well guarded in the ancient library of Domu."