Episode 5 - Dance the Night Away

Two Kabuki's rush around me, putting makeup on my face and curling my hair. I stare at myself in the mirror, admiring the dress Chen picked out for me to wear. It was a backless, dark purple halter top dress with a long flowing skirt. I'd never worn anything so beautiful in my entire life, I never thought I could look so good.

"Done," the Kabuki doing my hair said, stepping away. She had curled it neatly and pinned a half bun behind my head.

"And finished," said the Kabuki doing my makeup. She had dusted my lids with a dark purple shadow, winged my eyes with black liner, and put on a red lipstick.

"It's amazing, thank you," I said.

Just then, the intercom springs the life. "The ball will start in ten minutes time."

The two Kabuki's bow to me and leave my room. I stare at the clock, waiting impatiently for the ball to start. When the ten minutes are up, there is a knock at my door and Clouse opens it.

"It is time for the ball," he says.

I take one last glance in the mirror and follow him out.

The arena has been redone. Gold and red lanterns hang from the sealing, illuminating the dimmed room with its iridescent glow. Tables have been placed against the walls, a buffet of Master Chen's Noodles spread across them. Chen's thrown has been replaced by a dj, who is currently blasting Ninjago's greatest hits. I quickly find the boys, taking note of how well they all clean up.

"Isn't this awesome!" Jay marvels.

"You look very nice, Tasha," Cole says.

I smile. "Thanks."

"Don't you think, Kai?" Cole continues, elbowing Kai in the side. "Doesn't she look nice?"

"Uh, yeah, sure," Kai says. But he doesn't even glance at me. He's staring across the room at the red haired girl. Tonight she wears a golden orange dress that hugs her curves tightly, and her hair is tied into a neat bun.

"Kai," Lloyd says, irritated.

"Yes?" he says, finally looking at us.

"Doesn't my sister look nice?"

Kai looks me up and down carefully. My cheeks heat up, but it can't be seen under the copious layers of makeup. Finally, Kai smiles.

"Yeah, she looks very pretty," he says softly

I blink at him, sort of surprised by his answer. Maybe tonight would be a good night to talk to him. We haven't talked, just the two of us, since he left. There are so many things I want to say, so many things I want to ask, but before I can work up the courage, he turns away and heads towards the red-headed girl.

I sigh and make for the food table.

"Tasha, darling, you look wonderful," says Master Chen, coming up beside me.

"Thank you," I say curtly.

"I must say, it really is an honor to have you and your brother participating in my tournament," Chen continues. "And having your father tag along as well, such a pleasure."

"Thanks for the invite," I say, glancing quickly around the room for an escape. Fortunately, my father see's my look of distress and comes over.

"Chen," he says tensely.

"Ah, Lord Garmadon. So good to finally speak with you," says Chen, smiling cruelly.

"Yes, but I wondered if I could barrow my daughter," Dad says, turning his gaze to me. "I'd like to have a dance with her."