Episode 5 - Never Alone

My body was shaking ferociously. My breath was like fog and my limbs felt like they were frozen to the ground. In fact, when I looked down, I saw that they were. All around me was ice: ice on the ground, ice on the buildings, ice falling from the sky. But the most unusual thing was the large growing ball of ice floating in the sky about ten feet infront of me.

The ice ball began to glow blue. The brighter it got, the colder it became. For a moment I thought I was going to freeze to death, then the ice ball exploded. All the ice on the buildings, on the ground, on my person, shattered into a million pieces and suddenly I wasn't cold anymore. Snow fell lightly from the sky, but it wasn't cold. In fact, it evaporated before it even touched my skin.

My eyes began to feel heavy and suddenly I was falling to the ground. Everything began to go blurry and that's when I noticed the purple tendrils of energy bordering my vision. The last thing I saw was Zane's falcon, landing on the ground in front of me.

~

I didn't want to open my eyes. My entire body ached and my chest burned, almost as if I was inhaling smoke. Images from my vision flashed through my mind, I was disoriented -- what had I seen? Lloyd groaned softly beside me and I opened my eyes. The moment I did so, I regretted it.

Silver and Gold matter was swirling around us, casting a bright white light. I had to squint in order to keep from getting a headache. Lloyd was pressed against a glass pane. We were trapped inside a circular glass tube with horribly bright lights and Gold and Silver power surrounding us. My head hurt and my heart ached.

"Soon you will be utterly powerless," the Overlord croaked from a box in the corner. "And I will escape this digital prison and become whole, and nothing will stop me from becoming the Golden Master!"

My eyes grew heavy again and I couldn't help but succumb to the darkness.

~

When I open my eyes again, the light wasn't as bright. My limbs were numb and my mouth was dry. I lifted my head from the floor, but this small movement winded me. I saw Lloyd laying in a heap against the glass and for a moment I thought he was dead. The slow rise and fall of his chest assured me otherwise.

Painfully, I crawled over to him, each movement draining me of all my energy. Finally, I reached him. I grabbed onto his face and turned him towards me.

"Lloyd," I croak. "Lloyd wake up."

I shook his shoulder, but he didn't move. And then again, my eyes began to grow heavy. Each breath I took was ragged and my heart rate slowed even more. I was dying, this was killing us.

Yet again, darkness enveloped me.

~

"I am not alone."

The words rang in my ears like a bell. It was Lloyd's voice. It was weak, but it was there. I was alive -- he was alive. I forced my eyes open, Lloyd was still against the glass, trying desperately to pull himself up.

"I am not alone," he repeats.

Mustering up my remaining strength, I pulled myself up next to my brother. He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye. I grabbed his hand, squeezing it despite myself.

"We are not alone," I whisper.

Lloyd squeezes my hand back and says again, "We are not alone."

"You are not alone!"

My eyes widen and I look over at Lloyd again. He heard it too, Zane's voice echoed in our head.

"We are not alone!" we say again.