Chapter 15 - Breaking Ground

Start from the beginning

Cain had never been able to convince the servants to send for the man before, thus why he'd always stayed with the simple attire, but to see Gideon going the extra mile really showed that his work was paying off.

His brother and stepmother both noticed his improved wardrobe one day and asked how he got a hold of it. Cain simply said he'd requested it from the tailor himself, which was a half-truth. He intentionally left out that Gideon had volunteered the man's efforts. He was sure that up until now, the butlers had been told to avoid summoning the tailor for Cain specifically and didn't want to risk suspending the man again.

They couldn't order the Marquess to strip naked or walk around in nothing but his undergarments, so he enjoyed watching them seethe at the dinner table. His father meanwhile had left to travel abroad for some kind of work. So that was one less Duclair he'd have to deal with.

As for Maddox, he didn't see him again for a while. Cain decided to save up what money he was getting weekly from the diamond to help fund the purchase of land, as well as the cost of materials to build a home there.

He also had no reason to attend another auction. He'd gotten the only two paintings that'd be sold there, and instead set out to search for the remainder that had been scattered around in various shops and homes.

Trying to remain anonymous, he'd send out servants to check shops and see if they could find anymore paintings by the unknown artist, but instead of buying, he'd pretend he lost interest, then go back himself and purchase it under Wolf Brooks. Meanwhile he'd send out letters to other known owners and make an offer to buy their collections too. They weren't considered very valuable, so he managed to get a good price. Eventually, his gallery grew to around 11 pieces.

It was over a month later that he heard back from the young lord who was beyond happy to sell the lot of useless trees. He'd even agreed to meet in the capital to go over negotiations. However, since he was doing this transaction as 'Wolf Brooks' Cain had to bring his two-sided coat and mask.

Lord Jean De Bondone was a dark-haired youth, about 24 years old and eager. He showed up at the restaurant wearing a grey tailcoat with gold buttons and Sapphire cuffs. His freshly shaven chin made him look slightly older than he was, which worked to his advantage. After only a few moments of speaking with him, Cain could see that he was an ambitious entrepreneur.

"The land has caused me nothing but grief." Jean mourned over his cup of wine. "I couldn't get so much as a single tree before I started losing men. I had to pay grievances to their families, and property taxes every year since. It almost drove me broke!"

"I can imagine," Cain replied, sitting back in his chair with his mask and cloak. The man hadn't questioned the mask since it indicated some form of disfigurement, and to ask about such a thing was not appropriate when making business transactions.

"I'm sure you can't." Jean retorted. "You know the stories, but you still want to buy it? I simply don't understand."

"Neither do I," Cain replied, cutting into his plate of peppered river salmon. The restaurant itself was large, with chandeliers and golden railings to help separate the different eating sections. The tables were topped with marble, and the chairs were ornately carved wood with gold filigree. Cain normally wouldn't splurge at such a place, but Jean had insisted on covering the meal. "Normally people would not argue against selling something."

"I'm an honest man." The young lord replied. "I don't want any more deaths caused on my behalf."

"That's honorable. And I assure you, I know the dangers and don't plan on dying in those woods."

"Then is it the title you are after?"

Cain's fork stopped as he slowly looked up at the man. Jean took a hint and grinned.