One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Start from the beginning

Focus, Y/n! Must finish work!

Who cares about getting work done for future when could eat pizza gyoza right now???

"Damn it Leo, of all the turtles I would've expected to distract me from my work!"

He only grinned as you snatched up the goody bag. "Hey, don't get mad at me because I take care of my girl." He leaned slightly forward, that rare glint of pride in his eyes. "You can't outmaneuver a ninja."

"You must be very pleased with yourself." You say before pulling out the first gyoza and immediately launching it into your mouth.

"You're eating, so, yes, I am."

"Mhm." You shook your head at him mockingly, already rummaging blindly with your hand towards the bottom of the bag for the next.

A few gyozas later and Leo had moved over to your side instead of staying sat across from you, shamelessly nestling into your side while you ate. When you silently offered him a gyoza to his lips, he smiled and ate just a couple more himself. You hadn't realized how low your mood had been until you started feeling better from finally eating. That, and Leo laid up against you stripped away your irritability. "... I'm sorry. I don't mean to stress you out."

Leo's smile appeared as he balled up the empty bag and easily tossed it into the trash by the door. "It's not your fault. You know I have to look out for you." He nuzzles the back of your head with his nose, brushing some of your hair and ear. "And I'd rather be looking out for my family than anyone else."

The half bite of your pizza gyoza got caught in the back of your throat. He was using that word again. And it seemed more intentional this time. You didn't know why it still perplexed you. It's like your brain just stops processing every time you hear him say it.

You had to clear your throat in order to finish chewing the food, missing the way Leo smiled before finding your hand.

"Can we get ready for bed?"

You took in a breath and swallowed the last of the gyoza. "Fine." You sighed, still not looking at him. Moving aside your assignment and textbook, you playfully kept up the routine. "Only because it's almost bedtime."

"It's about to be 2 AM, Y/n."

"What?" At this, your head whipped over to the digital clock on your nightstand. Sure enough, it relayed that it was about ten minutes till.

"I'm sure your insane amount of coffee intake has nothing to do with your confusion."

You roll your eyes, turning back to Leo's all-knowing expression. "It was not an insane amount."

"You've done a Donnie level of coffee chugging today."

You huff at his stubbornness, knowing it was useless to try and convince him you weren't neglecting yourself that badly.

You felt the need to glance at clock again, just to make sure still said 1:50. How didn't you realize it was two hours past? Leo said the mission would be done before midnight if– oh crap. "Wait, what happened? How come you're back so late?" You whipped back to Leo again, suddenly checking all over his body for scratches or bruises or any tell-tale gashes. You couldn't believe you had nearly forgotten about it...

"Hey, don't worry, I'm okay." Leo set a hand on your cheek to settle you. "We all are. It just, didn't exactly go as planned."

One could really say it didn't at all. Nothing was able to be recovered from the Kraang database in time. The mission became more about stopping Slash and Newtralizer from stealing anything else dangerous from TCRI. Even that change of plans proved unfruitful with those gadgets they used to transport around in a snap of a finger.