Two and a Half Dates

"Hya! Hut!"

"Captain Dash, we are powerless against the evil wizard, Mind Master!"

"I'm scared! Hold me, Squeakums!"

Two days after the best Thanksgiving ever and half a week off school, things really start to feel back to normal. Just like how they were before; between the sounds of outdated cartoons playing in the living room and Raph vigorously going at the punching dummy even though their morning training ended like an hour ago, and a myriad of commotions coming from Donnie's lab pouring into my ears as soon as I leave my bedroom.

I don't even have to walk too far from the hall to know exactly where everyone is and what they're doing right now. After the exciting celebratory week off, Mikey's perched in front of the TV, Raph not far from him, beating up the guy-shaped bag of sand, and Donnie blowing things up in the lab. This quickly became another regular Saturday morning in the lair. And I'm betting the pocket of absence between all the racket can only be explained by Leo's daily meditations with Splinter in the dojo after the post-training breakfast. Although I have to question how well the sliding dojo doors are keeping all the noise out enough for them to focus.

But by this point they should be finishing up anyway. At least that's what I was thinking as I was walking into the main area, just before rounding a corner and nearly bumping into Leo.

"Hey–"

"Oh, hey–"

I reflexively take a step back, minimally at most, as we end up talking over each other. I'm already grinning as I look up to see his smiling face suddenly right in front of me. "I was just looking for you."

"Yeah?" Leo closes the small gap of space I had made between us, moving closer to slide his hand down my arm, then catching my hand in his.

"Eat my laser beam!"

"Yeah, I wanted to ask about–"

"Ha! Take that, mind freak! You're no match for the super mech!"

His soft aroma of chamomile and faint incense fades as Leo slightly turns away from me and over his shoulder. "Hey, Mikey? You mind turning that down?"

"Huh?" Mikey tilts his head in the general direction of us in response, but doesn't dare peel his eyes away from the ear-splitting television.

"Before we all go deaf, maybe?"

"Yeah. Totally. Completely agree with you bro," he responds on autopilot, still not taking his eyes off the screen.

"... Are you pretending not to hear what I'm saying?"

"I know right," Mikey continues, his eyes flicking between every action on the cartoon. "So crazy. I can't believe it either..."

"I think he's actually not listening." I tell Leo over the loud action sequence, a little amused by Mikey's antics.

"Mikey–"

"Aw yeah!" He laughs out, cutting his oldest brother off. "Don't mess with the Super Force Five, chump!"

"Do you seriously need to have it that loud?" Leo tries to ask again, but another crash from the lab drowns him out this time.