If You'll Leave the Light On - Pt. 1

Song: Light On – Maggie Rogers

"Knock knock!" Mikey nudged his shell up against Master Splinter's door, pushing it open as his hands carried a tray of teetering foods stacking three feet high. He had woken up a little earlier than was usual from the past month, in order to cook up a nice breakfast for the two of them that Raph wouldn't immediately sink his teeth into the moment he woke up.

Yoshi looked up from beside his bed at the balancing turtle, and tucked a box underneath the bed as he came in.

"We totally scored today, Sensei! Ape and Case brought a ton of food yesterday. I snuck it under Raph's nose just in time, but we gotta eat fast before he sniffs us out. He's an even bigger grump when he doesn't get my breakfast."

"That is quite a lot of food for so early in the day." Splinter acknowledged as his youngest was as careful as he'd ever seen him, setting his jenga-tower of food on the well made bed. "I hope you are not spending all this time making so much food just for my sake, Michelangelo."

"Are you kidding, Sensei? Of course I am!" Mikey beamed as he began dismantling the structure, spacing the food out on his sheets before it could tip over.

"But why this much? I do not have as a big an appetite as you have, my son."

"I told you I'd make up for missing a day." Mikey grinned delightfully to his father, referencing that day of great suffering when they finally reached the back of the fridge, leaving nothing for Mikey's culinary skills to work with.

He announced each helping as he set the plates and bowls out across Splinter's bed. "Some chicken soup for the soul, with extra cheese of course. Some of my mind-blowing bruschetta, scrambled eggs with tomato and cilantro, just the way you like. Grilled cheese sandwiches, and freshly squeezed orange juice!" He arranged his eating tray accordingly, pretending not to notice all the old pictures taken down around the room. He wouldn't say anything about the sudden emptiness surrounding his father's room now that any trace of his old family had been stripped from it. No, he decided he'd eat with him just like he had been doing all along. Keeping him connected with his loved ones in any kind of way while the chaos still swirled around their lives.

Yoshi looked over the large meal, and he had to wonder if the gigantic range of food options was more so a reflection of Mikey's brain scatteredness or simply his excitable personality. Typically when Mikey went for full on course meals, they were more organized and thought out– ironically. Even this appeared all over the place, no matter how beautifully presented and deliciously aromatic it was.

"I appreciate all you have done for me over these past weeks, my son. I know I have not been present in your lives since..."

"Don't sweat it, Sensei. Leo and Donnie are taking care of everything. We just miss you." Mikey's easygoing expression turns to soft concern, as does his voice. "But I'm still worried you're alone too much."

Splinter eyed the drop of basil and grated cheeses floating around in the soup bowl on his right. Eventually, a small, relieved smile twitched ever so slightly at his lips. "It is getting better. Somewhat easier..."

"Great!" Mikey smiled hopefully, watching from across the bedspread as Yoshi's eyes were downcast in thought. He took this moment to hop up onto the large bed and perch himself comfortably between the dishes of food, leaving Splinter his usual space for dining.

Digressing from his previous reservations, Yoshi moves to sit with his son in the midst of his culinary creations.

A wave of gratitude rushed over the rat as he picked up the soup bowl in his hands, and the heavenly smell filled his senses and taunted his stomach. He eyed his youngest as he set the bowl down and stirred around the contents with a spoon. "Please, tell me how you have been doing."