You Meet (Part 1)

Your POV

10:30 PM in Manhattan, New York. Even with the shining city lights, there's an uncomfortable amount of darkness descending over the city as I walk home. I'm leaving from my school's (your favorite activity) club, like I've been doing all week. Our final event is getting to be pretty close so our meetings are starting to run later and later as it approaches. It hasn't bothered so much since I really enjoy f/a, but now I always end up having to walk home later at night while it's dark. I guess living on the nearly opposite side of town will never present any advantages.

Getting picked up isn't an option, as much as I wish it were sometimes. I used to take cabs or call an Uber, but in all honesty, walking started looking like the better option after so many creepy men showing up in news stories of kidnappings by Uber drivers.

I live alone, due to being orphaned at a young age. Six to be exact. Whoopeeeee. But I was finally able to get emancipated months ago, legally allowed to live by myself at 16. It's only partial, for reasons my foster care advisor failed to explain to me in a way that made sense. But the main thing is I was able to move out of foster homes for good and can make most of my own decisions.

It's all a long and exhausting story. One I never really have to tell anyway since I don't socialize much. Which wasn't always intentional... Maybe if my past wasn't the way it is I would have ended up being more social, but what's been set in stone has affected any kind of social life I might have had. Other than the few semi-friends I have in a my classes that are members of f/a, I don't really have any strong-going connections. But I enjoy the independence most of the time. I think ten years of living in group homes with dozens of other kids made it easier.

... But now I'm really starting to wish that I had gotten a ride from someone. As I'm finally nearing the opposite end of my street, I suddenly become aware of something. An unsettling way-too-close presence. The street is mostly empty, regarding the few other people on the sidewalks and random cars occasionally driving by every couple minutes. But I was pulled out of my thoughts because of this close presence I felt from behind. The scarce other people that are around are scattered about, far distances away from me, so the fact that I heard such close footsteps from behind so suddenly alarms me. Along with the uneven and irregular steps, are a few low and raspy murmurs that I can't make out.

I walk a bit faster, trying to shake off the feeling. But it never left. And not long later, I hear a whisper coming from much closer to me than the whispers once were.

"H-heeeeeeey what're you doin' out here pretty little lady?" Someone slurs.

I physically cringe and look over my shoulder to see four, obviously drunken older men.

Oh no...

I can smell the alcohol that's on their breath and in their hands. It's twisting my stomach and making me want to gag. The one who spoke to me is standing too close. He takes another swig of his drink, keeping his eyes on me as he does. My body's tensed and now I'm wishing I hadn't stopped walking. I don't know how I would even respond to a question like that, so I just turn back around and start walking faster to get away from them. Only to hear a drowsy whistle from another one of them. My heart starts pounding but I try to stay calm.

"Wha'sh yer rush, sweetie?" The same man slurs louder as he stumbles after me.

Okay– screw staying calm.

I quickly break into a sprint, figuring it'll be an easy getaway since they can barely even walk. I plan to cut through the alley a few yards away to the next street, and hope that that will be enough to lose them. But I miscalculate where I'm going and run right into a dead end alley. And for some stupid reason, I spend a few precious seconds of my time staring at the brick wall in my way before quickly and finally starting back out. Only to be stopped by the drunks again, who are completely blocking the exit as they enter.