One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Part Two.

Hours and hours later...

If there was any break you caught in this god forsaken death trap of schoolwork, it was that it was getting somewhat easier working through all the assignments the more you go along. You weren't sure how much you were actually learning and retaining, but at least you were completing the work pages a little faster. It's just tricky feeling uncertain whether the answers are right or not.

You had to keep reminding yourself that technically, as long as you weren't failing any classes, you shouldn't worry too much. At this point there's no need to try harder than what you had in you. The day you can shove all of these papers back into your teachers' hands and allow Leo to drop all his worry for you will practically feel like an early birthday.

You move to find a more comfortable position again. Grabbing a textbook and piling up the pillows behind you, you lean back and try pulling your legs up enough to write on the page. The couch might've been more comfortable, and the desk two feet away from the bed probably would've been more conducive for work, but you could swear sitting at that desk for hours and hours throws you into depression, and after practically running away from Leo before he left you never felt like leaving the room again.

At least you were finally starting to see a dent in your work.

"I told you if you were gonna keep staying up late I was gonna keep coming in here and forcing you to eat."

You jumped and looked up to see Leo leaning in your doorway. Despite the scolding, his expression was more playful. Yours was closer to mortified as you sighed and pressed a hand over your wildly beating heart. "Stop doing your ninja sneak on me!" In the back of your mind though, you were so glad the tone of this conversation started out so much lighter than the last one. One of Leo's eye ridges raised slightly, a little more serious since you didn't acknowledge what he said. "Leo, I already–"

"Don't say you ate because you didn't eat when you came home and I know you didn't take a break while I was gone."

"I don't have time, I still have half of this worksheet to finish." His look of silent admonishment makes you laugh a little. Such a mom face. Not that I would know, haha... "Come on. We compromised, I've been going to bed consistently at 12 AM."

"That is still not a good thing!" Leo exclaims, walking in and closing the door. When he stopped by the foot of the bed, you briefly noticed something hanging from his hand before he was momming at you again. "You have to get up way too early to go to bed that late."

"It's not bad. I still make it to school on time and get work done."

"At the expense of taking care of yourself. It doesn't mean you get to skip out on eating either."

"How do you know I didn't eat while you were gone?" You challenge, eyes narrowing.

"Because I'm sure I know exactly what will happen when I do this." He sets the brown paper bag you hadn't notice in his hand directly on the bed in front of you, proceeding to cross his arms. You just stare at it, then at him in confusion about what that was supposed to do.

Then that heavenly, warm aroma hits you hard.

Murakami's.

The smell wafts through the bag and makes your stomach rumble almost instantaneously. You practically felt a gaping hole open up on your insides. Since when was this hunger there?

"'Ate while I was gone' my shell." Leo sasses, taking a seat across from you. Although talking after he revealed the hot food to you proved in vain.

Oh my goodness that smells so good. When was the last time I had Murakami's?