Halloween

Your POV

"Come on..." I mumble, flipping through more stupid pages of this stupid history textbook. "Give me a date. Either I'm dumb or this book's broken." I readjust in the chair, so tired of sitting at this desk. Because it has to be just my luck that the internet won't give me consistent dates and the chapter of this book doesn't tell me anything about when such an interesting event in history happened. Especially when there's just two more questions left and I could be done with this so fast.

The light from outside shifts, making me turn over my shoulder to see Leo leaning in my doorway.

"Hey, I'm almost finished."

"Mikey's almost ready to drag you out of here."

I smile a little, then open up my Google searches again. "I have just a couple more questions."

His voice is closer this time. "Can I help?"

"Oh no, you don't have to. It shouldn't be much longer."

"You said you were almost finished ten minutes ago."

"I can't find the right dates for one of the last questions. All the websites on the stupid internet say something different." I mutter, scrolling through my phone to at least find the most reported year.

I hear the bed sink from right behind me, then smile at feeling Leo's chin resting on my shoulder. And just like that he's got me from irritated to fluttery in a matter of seconds.

"Are you still mad I made you go to bed early last night?" He guesses.

I laugh, partially scoffing. I had meant to close my eyes for a few minutes but ended up practically falling asleep on the laptop while working. It wasn't much longer before Leo found me like that.

"I let you put me to sleep."

"You were too tired and delirious to fight me."

"Yes, and I knew that, which is why I let you drag me away from weeks worth of late work to go to bed at the ridiculously early hour of 10 PM."

His arms settle around my stomach from behind, giving me way too many butterflies to be having this casual conversation. "See, ya sound mad, yet despite the early bedtime you still wouldn't wake up this morning."

"If you're so worried about my sleep then why are you forcing me to go to a party," I playfully challenge him. His arms leave me to turn the chair so I'm facing him.

"Because all you do is go to school, do homework and get not enough sleep. You've kept it up for weeks, you need to do something fun. We all say so." He gives me a pointed look and all-knowing smile. "Don't act like you're not looking forward to this."

I smile a little. "I am. I just... I still think you guys should go trick-or-treating. If you do it every year I don't want you to not go because I have schoolwork."

"We don't do it every year." He reasons, to which I give him a knowing look. But, I guess it wasn't really a lie since last year was their first time deciding to go out for Halloween. But I know they would've done it every year before if they weren't so worried about the risk.

"I know you guys did it last year."

"We're doing this instead because I know you're tired, and something nice and easy down here won't wear you down. That, and it's safer down here."

"That's what I'm saying. You don't have to change your plans for me."

"It's safer for all of us. And you've been working non stop for weeks."