Surprise

Your POV
Three days later

"Stop that... You're going to make it worse... Y/n– stop. Don't get it infected."

I don't listen to anything Leo says as I continue frowning at myself in the mirror and messing with the stitches sticking out of the left side of my face, trying to see everything even though it only made the cut hurt worse. I turn my head at an angle again just to see how freakish the skin looks for a third time. I'm about to run my fingers across the contusion once again when Leo's hand grabs my wrist and pulls it away from my face, turning my body around to face him.

"Are you even listening, Y/n?"

I sigh. "Yes."

"It's not going to heal over night. Give it time, and stop touching it like Donnie said."

It's been three whole days and the cut isn't doing any better. In fact, it looks even worse than it did before. Just what I need.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I don't care that he's right. And I don't care about the throbbing and additional pain I'm causing on myself. I just glance down to Leo's hand gripping me.

"Can I have my wrist back now?"

"Not if you're gonna keep touching it–"

"I'm not."

He sighs and releases my arm. I immediately shove my hands into my jacket pockets, attempting to resist the strange urge to probe the stitches again.

"You sure are fidgety," Leo says as he eyes me.

I frown and look up at him, leaning back against my dresser. "I don't mean to be."

"Look," Leo leans his hands on the dresser, his arms on either side of me, comfortably trapping me in between them as he hovers over me closely. "I know you hate being cooped up down here like this, but it's only been a few days."

I shake my head. "I don't hate being cooped down up here. I just hate it when I never have the choice to... leave for fresh air."

"I know we don't have the freshest air down here either, but it's better than being in danger out there." He reasons.

My frown only deepens as I look up at him. "I didn't mean it like that."

"I know you didn't." He responds as he smiles a little, probably understanding why I seem so defensive. I guess I've been a little on edge lately. "Hey, I had to stay down here for fifteen years before Master Splinter started letting us go topside. I wouldn't blame you if you started going a little crazy."

There's a period of silence between us, where I don't know what to respond, just staring at each other. Until for the 27th time today I remember all over again that I have these hideous stitches sticking out of the side of my face. And realizing with how close he is, he could clearly see the unattractive tints of purple that have been added to my already red and paler-colored skin. I look down, breaking the eye contact.

"How can you even look at me right now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't pretend like these stitches aren't horrible. They are."

"Maybe they are, but that doesn't make you ugly."

"Actually it kinda does." I mumble, crossing my arms with no other option but to look at the floor since he's still only a few inches away.

"Okay. That's it. Y/n, look at me. Look at me right now."

"Please not another lecture," I groan. He tilts my chin up to meet his eyes boring into mine, refusing to let me look away before he's finished.