What A Tangled Web We Weave

Start from the beginning

'Olivia,' Mac's voice came over the line. 'Is Danny with you?'

'I'm looking right at him.'

'I have some new information on your vic, Jason Tam,' he said. 'I'm in my office.'

'We're on our way.' She ended the call and got to her feet. 'Mac has new info.' She began gathering the paperwork together.

'Hallelujah. I might get that beer after all. Or maybe...the kiss?' he winked at her.

She smiled at him as she tucked the reports and analysis sheets into the case-file. 'Keep dreamin'. As for me, I'm fresh out of enthusiastic anticipation. I'm adopting a 'let's wait and see' approach.'

They left the break room and made their way down the long, brightly-lit corridor headed for Mac's office.

'You and Flack got plans for tonight?' Danny asked, as they walked side-by-side.

'He's pulling a graveyard. I'm hopeful mine won't go over much later than usual.'

Most of the time no one ever finished his or her shift at the time it was supposed to. Give or take a couple of hours. She hoped tonight that wasn't the case. She needed some alone time. Time to work through her ever-growing muddle of emotions. She needed to talk with Evan and get his slant on the whole Flack/Don thing. The fact that she had started using his first name would only have Evan confirming what she knew anyway, that she was in too deep and beginning to fall for him.

The memory of last night came back to her. The things he had said, and before events had taken an unexpected turn, their love-making prior...Just like she had spoke the truth when she had told him she'd never known anyone like him, it was true that she had never known a lover like him. He had this knack of making her feel so beautiful, so romantic and the next like some wanton, wild thing driven by lust. There were times she felt completely powerless, helpless almost, in his arms and there were the other times when she was in control and he was the powerless one...A wave of heat flooded her body, while a wave of something else entirely worked its way through her entire being.

Great sex, that's what she had been telling herself for weeks and she thought if she kept telling herself that, she'd be all right. How wrong could she be? She hadn't planned on him, on the feelings - feelings that she had kept locked away and never allowed to surface - that he brought out in her. So many before had tried and failed to knock down the Chinese wall she had built around her heart, to get inside. Yet he had. Effortlessly. She had let him in...and now she was afraid that she would never get him out.

'Must be gettin' pretty serious,' Danny said. 'What is it now, few weeks?'

Olivia gave him a flat look. 'What is with you and this unhealthy interest you have in my personal life? What, you don't have a life of your own so you get off on mine?'

He chuckled, nodding at one of the lab techs as they passed by. 'You're too buttoned up, Duke. Would it hurt to open up a little? I think not.'

'Thanks for that, O Wise One,' she said drolly.

'I thought you me and were gettin' tight? Let's not spoil it.'

'Then quit poking your nose into my private life. Besides, shouldn't you be concentrating on your own?'

'Ouch. You ever thought about batting for the Mets?'

'The Red Sox called me once. You ever gonna pull your head out of your ass and just ask her out?'

Danny's eyebrows shot up, giving him an almost comical look that Olivia couldn't help smile about. 'She been talking to you?'

Funny how he knew exactly who she'd meant. 'Wouldn't you like to know.'