Chapter 2 - Family Matters

Start from the beginning

Large as the room may be, there was another dining hall that was much larger and intended for parties.

William Duclair sat at the head of the table, with Lena Duclair to his left and Andrew Duclair to his right.

The Duke had greenish gold eyes like Cain, and hereditary blond hair, with sides of grey due to his age. His eyebrows were almost nonexistent, and his chin jutted outward slightly. He was by no means handsome, but his wealth and title were enough to woe Cain's stepmother, Lena. Luckily Cain seemed to take more after his grandparents than his father. He generally took it as a compliment when people claimed they were nothing alike, even though he knew they weren't talking about appearances.

Lena herself had caramel-colored hair, dark grey eyes, and skin so pale that the sun practically reflected off of it. She was often seen wearing ornate dresses and wearing the finest jewels in her hair. The way she carried herself just screamed elegance, and all the younger women strived to be as flashy as she was.

As for his half-brother, Andrew, the man was lean with cruel dark grey eyes, light blond hair, and a suit as ornately decorated as his mother's hair. The man's square jaw and aquiline nose had the women fawning over him at all the parties. Though once again, it could very well just be the money they're after.

All three of them were the model image of a Dukes family, wearing the best-tailored clothes, eating a generously assorted breakfast, drinking from silver chalices, and adorning themselves with overpriced knickknacks.

Cain on the other hand gave off the appearance of an underdressed butler that had sat down to dine with them. If he had the budget, he'd have definitely gotten himself a better wardrobe. Though he was often denied such things.

He glanced over at the maids aligning the wall, waiting on standby in case the family needed anything else. He recalled his time on the streets eating stale bread, wearing thin clothes, and sleeping on hay bales.

True, he wasn't treated as well as he could have been by his family, but he was still living a life of luxury...For now.

"I've heard the most dreadful news." Lena prattled. "Some of the ladies were discussing a siege at the border. They claim some ruffian took women and children as hostages and may try to ransom the Emperor."

"Do ladies talk about such terrible things?" William frowned. "Wouldn't you rather concern yourself with the upcoming gala, or who's marrying whom this spring?"

"It's a hard topic to avoid," Andrew spoke up. "Even the commoners are discussing the attack. It's no surprise that it's made its way to the upper crust."

William sighed as he pinched his brow. "Of course those tales are spreading. Yet not a single person telling those stories was there."

"Neither were you. Or are you saying you know something they don't, father?"

"It was nothing more than a small skirmish. Some bandits wearing fake family crests had attacked the Emperor's men near the border and the story blew up. He told me himself."

It was funny to hear his father speak so confidently about something he was so wrong about. Though the truth wouldn't come out for a few more years, Cain already knew who was behind those attacks. After working with Maddox as an apprentice, he also knew that the Emperor was trying to cover it up so that the public's confidence in him didn't get shaken, which made them ill-prepared for when Maddox finally did show his full power.

"What a relief." Lena let out a breath. "It'd be a shame if we were to go to war so suddenly. Our dear son has only just returned from military duty. I'd hate to see him leave again."