CHAPTER 32; aftermath

Flashbacks of everything that just happened keep playing through your mind like a bad dream you can't wake up from. The race, Max winning the championship, Cass dying, your dad dying, watching Max's heart break as you gave him back your engagement ring. Finding out you were pregnant. How happy Max was when he found out.

Max, the baby. I can't go. I'm not ready.

......

Pain is the first thing that wakes you. You wince not wanting to open your eyes just yet but a hand on yours encourages you to.

"Max?" You mumble slowly fluttering your eyes open.

"Hey," Dimitri says squeezing your hand. "You're awake."

"What happened? Where's Max?"

"Shhhh... one thing at a time." Dimitri says pressing a button to call a nurse in. A nurse comes rushing in and smiles, "oh good she's awake. I'll go let Dr. Rossi know."

"Dr. Rossi? Where am I?" You ask looking around trying to get a grip on your surroundings.

"You're at the hospital in Abu Dhabi. Do you remember what happened?" Dimitri asks and you nod slowly.

"Cass, my dad, Declan, Harper, Sasha, everyone dying." You say wincing, "so much pain."

"Where's Max? I need to apologize for things I said, I didn't mean any of it before, I was just trying to by us time until you found us." You say tears in your eyes seeing the engagement ring back on your left hand.

"Max had to go back to Monaco, Ari. You've been asleep for a while now." Dimitri says and you're trying to process things as Dr. Rossi walks in.

"Arya! Oh, thank God you're awake. Don't scare us like that." Dr. Rossi says walking over. "How're you feeling? Any headaches? Confusion?"

"Painful. I just want to know what's going on." You say sighing trying to sit up.

"Do you remember what happened?" Camille asks and you nod.

"I remember Sasha stabbing me, and then feeling light headed. It gets a little fuzzy after that." You say trying to remember.

"Okay, so after that we airlifted you to the hospital. Max was with you the whole time. Your heart stopped on the ride over, you essentially died. We did CPR and once at the hospital." Dimitri says looking over at Dr. Rossi.

"Once here, we were able to get your heart re-started. You suffered from a lot of internal bleeding, but we were able to get everything under control. You've been in a medically induced coma for the last two weeks." Camille says and you try to soak everything in.

"And the baby?" You ask already dreading the answer.

"Is a fighter. Somehow still alive and well." Camille says smiling and you burst into tears.

"Oh my god. How? I thought for sure I lost it, between the drugs used to knock me out and everything we went through... I was so sure."

"It's a mystery to me. I'm thinking because you weren't that far along, when you were stabbed it missed your uterus completely so baby was unharmed." Camille says in shock herself.

"Does Max know?" You ask.

"No." Dimitri says firmly.

"He was so distraught after bringing you in I don't think he processed anything that happened afterwards." Camille says looking sad.

"But he's okay? Daniel and Jos are okay?"

"Yes, all physically fine. Daniel's mentally shut down I think at the moment, but he'll get there." Dimitri says.