CHAPTER 25; monaco

Start from the beginning

"Got it, sorry guys. I'll be right back." You say excusing yourself.

"Come on, let's get you guys set up with headsets." Sara says leading them down the garage as you make your way up to Max's change room.

You knock on the door before slowly opening it, "someone requested a strategy meeting?" You ask smiling as you see Max doing up his racing suit.

"Definitely." Max says as you walk over and wrap your arms around his neck, as his hands come around your waist and you can feel both of your bodies relax as you lean into the kiss.

"You've got this." You say pulling apart.

"I don't know about that." Max says sighing. "Charles and Carlos were looking a lot better out there during practice."

"Practice doesn't matter now, it's all down to this. One lap at a time." You say smiling and Max leans down to kiss you again.

"I love you Mrs. Verstappen." Max whispers so no one hears.

"I love you too Mr. Verstappen, now go out there and do your best." You say leaning up and kissing him one more time before heading back out the door to the garage.

"There you are!" Harper says waving at you, headsets around her neck now. Sara just chuckles passing you your headset and you put it around your neck.

"He'll be out in a minute." You say nodding to Sara.

"Hey, isn't that Max's dad?" Jeremy asks pointing over to Jos, surrounded by his security team.

"Yeah, he comes to some of the races, just keeps to himself mostly." You say smiling and nodding at him, for which Jos just smiles and nods back.

"Seriously?! That's insane, I can't believe he comes to races." Harper says looking over at him mesmerized which has you confused, but then again he is a previous world champion himself.

"Does your dad ever come to races?" Harper asks curiously.

"He's here now actually, somewhere. I think he'll come to the last race too. But that's about it." You say turning your attention back to the screen in front of you.

"Him and Max don't get along?" Jeremy questions.

"Him and I don't get along." You clarify. "I can't stand him on a good day, let alone the chaos of a race day."

Harper, Jeremy, and Sara just nod.

"Do you think Jos will come to the last race too?" Jeremy asks.

"Probably. He has every year. Bahrain, Monaco, Zandvoort and Abu Dhabi are the races he doesn't miss." Sara says as Max comes out of the dressing room, his headphones in a stern look of concentration on his face.

"You're so lucky," Harper whispers to you.

"I'm right here," Jeremy says rolling his eyes.

"And I love you, but come on," Harper says still staring at Max and you just chuckle. "Sorry Harper, he's all mine."

You watch as Gio passes Max his helmet liner and helmet, sending you a wink before putting them on.

"That's it, I think I just died and went to heaven." Harper says holding your hand.

"Easy Harper," you say shaking your head. "You're engaged and he's... taken by me." Married actually.

"I know, I'm happy for you really, the two of you are going to have smoking hot babies one day." She says turning back to the monitor as Max gets into the car. The four of you put your headphones on and stand around the monitor watches as Max's qualifying session starts and you hate yourself for hoping that he doesn't get this pole position. Monaco is a hard circuit to pass on, so usually the race outcome is all but decided at qualifying. Harper and Jeremy ask Sara a lot of questions during qualifying, but you're focused intensely on the screen and the pit lane when Max comes in to change the tires. Making it into Q3 easily, you hold your breath as Max puts in his last lap. He crosses the line, and you look at the leader board on the screen, P4 just behind Daniel. You sigh in relief but know that no one else will be happy about that position. Max pulls the car back into the pit lane and hops out talking with the engineers.