Chapter 72

I wonder if this will work.

The world around her was surprisingly quiet, the only sounds being the dull whirl of the wind picking up and distant thunder, the threat of a storm imminent.

As always, the girl continued to keep taking risks, despite what could happen if things didn't go the way she planned it to.

It also was no secret how much hot water she would be in with Xiao if he found out about her elaborate little lie.

After they'd taken their time enjoying the beautiful scenery of Inazuma, Vena had decided she needed answers, and there was only one way she was going to get them.

With her gentlest smile, she'd lied straight to her lover's face.

The sickness in the pit of her stomach churned at the memory, guilt already sinking it's claws in deep.

"I told Aether I'd meet him in the city to grab some last minute supplies before we leave tomorrow morning." She'd said.

"I won't be long." She'd continued once he'd said he sensed demons far too close to Liyue for his liking, stating he would have loved to join them.

You idiot. You moron. How could you lie directly to his face like that? Smile at him as he held your hand and gave it a quick kiss as a goodbye, keeping up your facade?

The wind howled, blowing through her violet hair as she exhaled deeply in frustration at herself.

It had been eating at her for far too long, but she knew there was no way in hell Xiao would let her do what she was doing now, so she had no choice but to lie.... Right?

Of course, try to justify your wrongs like you always do.

Vena groaned in irritation, her mind at war with itself as she flipped back and forth, her thoughts a raging whirlwind as her anxiety began to peak. The reality of her choices finally setting in.

"Aren't you just a glutton for punishment?" The faint sound of bells jingling softly reached her ears, yet she didn't even have to turn around in order to figure out who the voice had belonged to.

Not that it would have taken the mind of a rocket scientist or brain surgeon back in her world to come to the correct conclusion.

For a moment, she didn't answer. Quietly, her eyes drifted up to reach the sky, watching as the grey clouds threatened to unleash at any possible moment.

She dared not to maintain her silence any longer once she heard the soft approach of footsteps, knowing better by now than to let him get too close as she swiveled around on her heel, watching as he stopped in his tracks.

An amused smirk played across his lips, clearly taking note of how easy it was for him to get her attention, refusing to be ignored.

"You haven't learned your lesson by now? Walking around a dark forest alone, knowing you have someone hunting you..? I took you for a girl at least a little smarter than that." Scaramouche scoffed, obviously just trying to annoy her and get under her skin as always.

The man clearly wasn't capable of not being sarcastic and insulting 24/7.

"I want answers." The simplicity of her response actually wiped that shit-eating grin right off the Harbinger's face, even if it was only for a moment.

Teasingly, he took a step forward toward her, watching with a glint in his eye as she took one of equal length backwards away from him.

"I don't think you quite understand the situation you're in right now, little dove. Definitely not in the place to be making demands."