Chapter 13

There's no way he's avoiding me, is there? No. He's out fighting demons. I'm sure there's a ton out there, Liyue is huge.

Vena was simply laid in her bed in her room at the Inn, quietly staring up at her ceiling as the sun started to set out of the view of her window.

I doubt they'd find him anyway, there's no telling where he could be.

Raising her arm, Vena admired her bracelet which contained the symbol of her Hydro Vision.

Hydro was somewhat fitting for her, considering her love of nature and water included. Lakes, rivers, oceans, she loved them all with a passion. She found peace in the tranquil sound of the water flowing, the waves crashing against the rocks, raising and lowering along with the tides.

Water resembled purity as well, something she didn't feel was quite fitting for her, but she saw it as symbolic regardless. As if being gifted this Vision after just arriving in this new world was like being gifted another chance. A clean slate, a chance to start over and try to leave the past behind.

Something she'd been struggling with, but wasn't going to give up on.

By now, the sun had set completely, and it was almost eerily quiet about the Inn.

Usually from Vena's room, you could at least hear faint voices from the kitchen, but today was clearly different. All that could be heard was the howling of the wind outside her window. It seemed as though everyone around the Inn had decided to turn in early that night.

Too bad Vena couldn't say the same, seeing as how her anxiety was brewing now and there was no chance she'd been falling asleep anytime soon.

One of the few things Vena disliked about this world was the lack of advanced technology like her own had possessed. It was so easy to send a simple text, miles away, saying "Hey, we found him!" Or "We're safe, don't worry!" But alas, that wasn't an option here.

One could argue it was partially better, because that meant social media didn't exist, and boy had Vena had such a love-hate relationship with social media back on her own world.

Exhaling deeply, the girl allowed her arm to gently fall back down to her side with a 'plop' as it landed on the sheets of her bed while she bit the inside of her cheek quietly.

Allowing her eyes to close, the girl simply laid there, trying to think of something she could do to pass the time.

She had really been wanting to pick up a notebook and some pencils so she could draw or write whenever she was bored, but anytime she'd gone to town, she'd forget all about it. Maybe she should pick up a book or two from that nice bookstore in Liyue next time she went too.

Her thoughts drifted, at least until a random singular knock outside her window caused her mind to instantly screech to a halt.

Jolting up into a sitting position, Vena's eyes were wide, flicking back and forth wildly around her room as her heart beat quickened.

I didn't imagine that, right?

Silence fell, nothing but the sound of her heart pounding in her ears and the wind continuing to howl was heard.

Probably just the old wood anyway. The stairs always creak like that. I'm sure a piece of wood just shifted or something.

Another single yet loud bang echoed in her ears, causing her to flinch as her muscles tightened up, that familiar feeling of fear settling in her stomach, nearly feeling as if she was going to puke.