Chapter 4

I can't just lay here anymore. I'm getting twitchy.

Vena fidgeted slightly in her bed, her whole body practically tingling because of how long she'd been laying in the same position for the past few days, only ever getting up with help from Aether to use the restroom or bathe before having the doctor bark at her to lie back down.

She knew it was for the best, but she wanted to move regardless.

Vena had always been an active person, always out exploring, hiking, picking flowers, or practicing with her sword and her Vision. She loved nature, everything about it, and was almost always outside adventuring or inside crafting things she found out in nature.

Glancing over at the clock, the time didnt surprise her one bit.

Well, it being so late should mean I can sneak out without being seen, right?

If she ran into anyone at this hour, they'd be insane.

Perhaps just as insane as she truly was.

Grasping the headboard of her bed, the girl pulled up with all her strength, being sure not to use her left arm as she finally came up into the sitting up position.

Her body ached in protest, but she ignored it, pushing up after she'd swung her feet over the edge of her bed, trying to steady herself as she held onto the wall, taking baby steps over towards her door.

She didn't bother trying to find her shoes, knowing she wouldn't be able to bend to put them on anyway and chose to just go out to the roof in her socks.

Since she'd seen the Wangshu Inn in the distance a little before they'd been ambushed, she'd had such an urge to go up to the roof to witness the stellar view, getting excited just thinking about being able to see nature in all its beauty, even if it was just in the moonlight.

When she recovered, she swore to herself that she'd witness it in the sunset too before they left to continue their journey.

Slowly but steadily, the girl willed herself up each step to the rooftop, knowing it would all be worth it in the end, but desperately trying to make sure she didn't pop a stitch either as she strained.

The sweet smell of rain and flowers filled her nose, causing her into inhale and exhale deeply, the simple smell putting her mind at ease as she came to the last step, finally able to make it out onto the roof top as her eyes widened in surprise.

Mesmerized, the girl slowly approached the railing, resting her weight up against it as she looked out at the spectacular view, the woods and surrounding lakes and ponds all illuminated by the gentle moonlight, allowing her to see a lot more than she had first expected to.

How tranquil.

Vena wasn't even sure how much time had passed before a slight wind breezed through her dark purple hair, grabbing her attention away from the scenery and back to reality.

I guess I should head back before somebody wakes up and sees me. I'll get locked in that room if they catch me.

Vena mentally laughed to herself, turning around to head back to her room, but not before she nearly jumped out of her skin.

A young man stood in front of her, simply gazing on at her with deep amber eyes accompanied by a piercing gaze and almost blank expression.

How long had he been standing there? He wasn't here when she'd first come up, but she also hadn't heard anyone come up the stairs.

They're made of old and creaky wood, she definitely would have heard if someone had come up them, she had been terrified of waking someone with every step she took before.

The man's arms were crossed firmly across his chest, finally removing his gaze from her's to glance out at the sky as well, not saying a word.

"You- aren't going to tell on me, right?" Vena stuttered out, fidgeting with her fingers as she stumbled across her words, her heart racing at the thought.

The doctor was going to probably lock her in for this. He had been very strict about her moving since he'd promised Aether back and forth that he'd take the upmost care of her and insured he'd come back to Vena in perfect shape.

Hm. So this is the mortal who practically turned the Inn upside down the other night.

"I don't tend to get involved in the affairs of mortals." The man simply spoke after what felt like years of awkward silence, continuing to simply gaze out with his arms crossed.

"Mortals?" Vena struggled to keep her voice from cracking under the pressure.

That implies he isn't... human? What exactly is he then? What else about this world was going to surprise her?

His voice was smooth, although it seemed oddly stripped of emotion.

In the silence, Vena decided to take the time and examine him a little closer. His hair was a dark green, practically black, with teal undertones. He was dressed rather loosely in a white tank top and purple pants, with dark boots to match.

She wondered if he was cold wearing that. She certainly was.

"You should go." The man casually replied, completely ignoring her previous question.

Vena flinched slightly again, his sharp tone almost physically paining her as she stared at his back in silence, eyes wide.

"Right," She breathed out, mentally shaking her head in an attempt to get rid of the negative thoughts she was having.

He meant so I wouldn't get caught by someone else... not to be mean. Right?

She'd always had a habit of seeing the best in people and always trying to make excuses for their bad behavior, so she often tried to shake away any negative thoughts she was having about someone and just assume they were having a bad day or that isn't exactly what they'd meant.

It was easier than taking everything to heart and letting herself get her feelings hurt.

"Goodnight then." Vena quietly replied with a small bow as she forced a smile, gently turning around to head back down the stairs and into her room as she grasped at her injured rib, clearly very irritated now by her moving around.

Once Xiao had heard the girl's footsteps fade out of earshot, he let out a deep sigh.

"Tch. Mortals."