Chapter 71

"So, you and Xiao are awfully close, huh?" Vena was again dragged from her somber thoughts, wide eyes raising to meet Shinobu's violet ones as the words finally dawned on her.

"Oh- uh," Vena coughed out awkwardly, flinching away from her gaze as she turned her attention back to the crackling fire in front of her.

"I may have eavesdropped on you chastising him earlier." The female ninja let out a giggle, shyly admitting how her curiosity had got the better of her.

Vena couldn't help but laugh a little too, her attention drifting up to the stone ceiling above them.

"Let's just say that's a reoccurring theme with him." Vena tried to put it simply, although she assumed this was Shinobu's kind way of trying to keep her thoughts preoccupied with conversation.

"Well, he is a Yaksha, right? Isn't that what they all seemed to do?" Shinobu questioned, hoping she'd picked up on enough of Liyue's culture the little she'd been there.

"Yeah, but I'm hoping maybe all of our words combined will be enough for him to realize that his life doesn't have to end that way... Being some kind of martyr. We need him... I need him." Vena looked away, almost ashamed to admit something so seemingly selfish.

"Of course you do... you love him." Shinobu gave another whole hearted giggle, hoping to ease the girls worries and anxiety.

Vena's head flew up to meet her eyes, a dusty pink blush spreading across her cheeks at the girl's words.

Not that it was new or a secret at all, but she hadn't really thought the others had noticed or been able to put the pieces together, and it wasn't something she'd planned on discussing with strangers, but Shinobu was clearly a lot more observant and clever than Vena had given her credit for.

"I- But so you see why I can't let him do such a thing." Vena half tried to brush the conversation off, only to realize there was no reason to have her guard up so high. Even her level of instincts were telling her Shinobu was a good person and there was no reason to hide behind her usual walls.

Besides, they very well may all end up dying there together.

"I could never truly live again if he sacrificed himself for us... I couldn't live without him. I wouldn't want to." Vena's voice shook a tad, her eyes glossing over again with the threat of tears as she huffed out a deep exhale.

"So when you said you'd rather die... you meant that." Shinobu's voice was soft, so understanding and gentle.

Vena could only give a nod, feeling as if her emotions would boil over if she spoke again in this state.

"I'd happily die by his side instead of live even a second without him." She spoke after moments of silence, finally able to swallow the lump that had formed in her throat and forced away the urge to cry.

"We'll all find a way out of here, I promise you." The green haired girl had leaned over now, resting a hand on Vena's knee with a comforting pat.

Vena simply nodded, a soft smile on her face, actually comforted by the girl's words.

Gods, how she hoped Shinobu was right.

"Um, would you like me to try healing Itto a little? Maybe it would help wake him up faster." Vena didn't mean to change the subject, but a deep snore had partially snagged her attention.

Shinobu laughed again, giving a small wave of her hand.

"No, no, boss will be fine. He does this a lot, believe it or not. Save your strength, he'll wake up soon and be all back to his normal self."