Chapter 44

Vena did whatever she could to remain unseen, being sure to hide around objects and corners when people needed to pass by, knowing someone would catch her immediately if they managed to see her, although the halls were thankfully much more empty than usual since it was getting much later into the evening.

Her heart began to pick up its pace again the closer she neared the courtyard, becoming painful once she'd bursted through the doors as the air hit her lungs.

Carefully, she scanned the area with blurry eyes, making sure no one was around before she decided to step any further.

For a moment, she simply stood in the very middle of the garden, confusion spreading through her at the actual lack of the usual guards and random Fatui that were almost always about.

"I'm starting to think you like me punishing you like this." A weak shock surged through her leg, momentarily paralyzing her as the panic coursed through her veins at the sound of the voice.

What the actual hell? How did he know?

She spun around to face him with a glare, causing the Harbinger's brows to actually raise at her reaction.

"Look at you, still standing. When will you learn to stop trying to fight back, hm? It only leads in you getting more hurt than necessary." The blue haired man clicked his tongue at her mockingly as his hands rested on his hips, his narrowed eyes scanning her newly exposed skin from her shirt he'd ripped previously.

"You sick fuck," She spat out, lacing her voice with venom as she chose to stand her ground, attempting to pull her shirt up to cover anything that might possibly interest him as she readied into a fighting stance.

I might not be in the best shape right now, but I refuse to let fear consume me. I'll fight back even if it costs me my life.

"Awwww, you found your vision that I had in my nightstand? Not like I went out of my way to keep it hidden. I wanted to see if you'd actually be stupid enough to try and fight back with it." Letting out a mocking laugh, Vena caught just a glimpse of a flash of purple, barley being able to react fast enough to raise her hand.

Scaramouche's eyes widened at this, confusion actually taking over his usual sly facial expression as he stared back in disbelief.

Somehow she'd managed to materialize her sword while simultaneously blocking his attack with it, causing it to shoot off into the sky somewhere, his eyes following it until it was out of sight.

That was definitely new. He hadn't yet seen someone actually be able to reflect his vision and potentially send it straight back at him.

"I am not afraid of you, you manipulative, abusive scumbag." She growled out as her entire body was illuminated in a purple glow, little flickers of electro sizzling around her as she weakly stood, barely able to hold her body upright anymore.

"What the fuck..? How? Your vision is hydro, I've literally seen you use it! You have two?"

Now wasn't this a pleasant sight? The sadistic, ill-tempered Scaramouche actually caught off guard and confused?

Honestly, she didn't understand it either. All she knew was the moment he'd first shocked her, she almost felt as if her body absorbed part of the energy, and that feeling only grew the more he continued to electrocute her, now allowing her to fully manifest it.

So now I'm a human sponge, huh?

A clash of loud noises and yells caused both to turn their heads in the direction, now both even more rattled than before.