Chapter 51

"Xiao-"

A stern look paused her sentence, causing her to instantly lay down into her bed and scramble to get under the covers.

Xiao had insisted they go back to his realm for her to rest once he'd finally noticed more of the telling signs of her obvious exhaustion, now mad at himself for keeping her outside so late despite her injuries.

She'd tried to fight him on it, pleading that she felt fine and wasn't tired until he decided to quickly examine a few of her bandages, pointing out that blood was almost leaked fully through on some of them, meaning she'd re-opened a few previously stitched wounds.

"As soon as we get home- bed." He'd said before they'd left Liyue to go back to his realm.

Home.

That word sent a warm tingly feeling throughout her entire body. She couldn't remember the last time she really had a place to call home. She'd been wandering for years before Aether and Lumine had eventually traveled to her world and discovered she had the capability to travel with them. Her old village was probably the last place she had referred to as a home until it was so cruelly taken from her.

Xiao let out a soft exhale once she'd settled into bed after changing into clean and comfy sleeping clothes in her bathroom, his back rested against the wall near her bed as he closed his eyes for a few moments.

"Continue." Came his gentle reply, finally satisfied after she'd taken all of her medicine, cleaned and replaced her bandages and was now resting in her bed.

"I-I just wanted to say I was sorry." Vena whispered shyly, adverting her gaze across the room, unable to look him in the face now even though she could see him raise an eyebrow inquisitively out of the corner of her eye, waiting for her to elaborate.

The various medicines she'd been given to help heal her wounds and ease the pain wasted no time kicking in, adding onto how already sleepy and exhausted she was as she covered her mouth with her hand to shield a yawn.

"I shouldn't have thrown all of that on you, it was a lot."

Xiao struggled to even make out what she said with how quiet her voice was now.

"Nonsense. You know of my past, now I know of yours. Nothing to do with you will ever be anything close of a burden to me."

Vena couldn't help but feel like she didn't deserve his kindness. His forgiveness.

"Try not to be so hard on yourself all the time."

Was he right? Was it maybe time to stop listening to that little voice in the back of her head that always bullies and harasses her and instead trust in the voice of another to keep herself on the right path?

"It's hard to explain, but I'd rather beat myself up over mistakes I've made and try to learn from them instead of ignoring my faults and acting blameless." Vena attempted to explain, unsure if she was able to accurately get her point across.

"That's understandable, but you're borderline bullying yourself over every little thing. Allow yourself to live, breathe. I also understand the weight of taking human life. In your case, I believe it was justified, if that brings you any solace. Especially in a world like ours, like your old world... sometimes it truly is kill or be killed. Personally, I'd rather have you here than them." Xiao shrugged with a smug little smirk on his face, clearly trying to make light of the conversation, not giving up on trying to convince and comfort her about her past.