Chapter 26

"He what?" Aether's mouth dropped open at Vena's confession, causing the girl's face to light up in a nervous blush as she adverted her gaze.

It had now been over a week since Vena had last seen Xiao, and he'd left her standing there in his empty room with butterflies.

Vena had told Aether everything else that had happened between them previously, but she'd decided to hold back the information about the kiss, still trying to make sense of her cluttered feelings in secret.

Finally coming clean, now she almost regretted it, assuming that Aether was now upset or somehow disappointed in her judging by his response.

"Yeah, and then he just... disappeared." She sheepishly clarified, still unable to meet his gaze, almost feeling as though she was admitting such an embarrassing event to her own brother.

"So he kissed you and left, and you haven't seen him since?" Aether's voice was a lot more flat than usual, being very unlike his usual calm and generally cheery self given the news.

"Mhm. I assume because he thinks his karma is effecting me. But why would he kiss me before..? I can't make sense of it." Vena shook her head in defeat, finally admitting that no matter how hard she'd tried to make sense of the situation and the feelings she was experiencing, she just kept coming up empty handed, now hoping maybe he had any potential ideas.

"Hm... well, this type of stuff is always complicated." Aether mused, his hand now cupping his own chin in thought as he began to ponder.

"I haven't felt anything like this in far too long... I almost forgot emotions like this even existed." Vena admitted with a sheepish laugh, amused at herself.

She'd been so used to keeping everyone at a distance or just generally being alone besides Aether and her new friends she'd met along the way in Teyvat, that she'd forgotten all about romantic emotions.

"But, you liked it, right?"

Vena frowned at the question, actually confused for a few moments as to what he was referring to until her eyebrows furrowed, her expression now flustered as a light blush coated her porcelain cheeks.

"Aether!" She snapped back awkwardly, her own shyness practically consuming her as her blush deepened, now thinking of that kiss all over again.

That had been happening often ever since the event transpired, and she couldn't happen to shake it away.

The moment was engraved in her mind, replaying over and over, the butterflies consuming her all over again every time.

"Yes." She admitted as she turned her face down to the floor, obviously struggling with dealing with these vulnerable emotions.

Aether laughed lightly at that, unable to keep himself from picking on her even now as he smiled over at her figure.

Deep down, he wasn't too happy that Xiao had just up and left her, even if his reason was understandable, knowing that Vena was probably feeling abandoned all over again, so many people that had been important to her always just disappearing and leaving her all alone.

But he knew that deep down, Xiao had to have felt something for the girl too, or he wouldn't have kissed her, right?

"Maybe some time away would be good for both of you. It gives you a chance to really think about what you're feeling. I wouldn't worry too much, I doubt he'll stay away for very long." Aether reassured the girl with a genuine smile, honestly believing his words to be true.

Vena though, wasn't too sure.

—————————————————————-

" I know I stood there, singing to you
Please don't ever feel alone
And please don't dream of never heading home
But truth be told I've struggled just like you "