Chapter 62

"And I want my cookie, bitch!"

After the initial shock had worn off, the girl got a clever little idea.

Two can play at that game.

"All's fair in love and war!" Vena yelled out triumphantly as she quickly shut the door of the house behind her, locking it as well as if that was going to stop a Yaksha.

Xiao had gotten too comfortable in what he thought was his victory, and wound up playing right into Vena's hands.

Using visions to hit Xiao didn't count as a win according to the new rules they'd chosen, but now she was technically free again, and he'd gotten so comfortable that he hadn't felt the need to get her into a headlock, as the rules had stated for him to win the game, so technically the duel was still going.

It was anyone's game now, and Vena had just turned the tides, now making this into hide and seek as she sprinted through the house, flicking off all the lights as she passed through each room.

She may or may not have given him a good little shock with her vision, and used the initial bit of its paralysis to squeeze out from Xiao's grasp and retreat.

He definitely wasn't going to be happy about that one, but again, he'd decided to underestimate her.

The sound of booted feet shuffling upstairs caught her attention, making her decide on finding a decent hiding spot instead.

"You know I could just jump in through the upstairs window, right?" Xiao called, his voice traveling through the dark and quiet house as he descended the stairs down to the first floor where he assumed she was still hiding.

Adrenaline pumped through her veins, but it was a much more exciting feeling than the usual anxiety ridden one as a delicious shiver traveled up her spine when his foot steps neared her location.

The thrill of potentially being caught was exhilarating.

"Venaaaaaaaa~" Xiao sang out her name, enjoyment clear in his voice as he looked around, pondering where she could potentially be.

There were only so many possible spots she could manage to fit even with her small frame.

Fuck, he's going to hear me breathing if I don't relax.

The girl's heart had been racing violently, although this time wasn't life-threatening or anxiety inducing, instead exciting and thrilling.

The sound of his footsteps only got louder, making Vena decide maybe she sound plant her hands across her mouth, praying it would help silence her irregular breathing pattern.

The house was far too quiet, so much so that she could practically hear her own blood pumping in her ears, her heart pounding irregularly to the sound.

"You thought here would be the best hiding place?" Xiao huffed out a laugh, causing the girl to nearly jump out her own skin with a shriek as she stumbled to her feet, taking off in a sprint across the house only moments later.

The gentle sound of Xiao's amused laughter followed her, clearly still taking far too much enjoyment in their little game. It was obvious he was winning this time, but again, he couldn't help but revel in his easy victory, not that the odds were exactly fair either way.

"I think playtime's over." The Adeptus whistled casually, wrapping an arm firmly around her neck as he pulled her back to his chest, ignoring her wiggling and sarcastic protesting and complaining.

"This game is so rigged!" She huffed with a clear attitude, trying to dig her fingers under his arm to loosen his grip as if he didn't already technically win their little duel anyway.