Chapter 59

"You single-handedly paralyzed over 20 men?" Xiao actually sounded surprised.

They'd previously returned the young girl back to her family, and Xiao had made it just in time for dinner at the tea shop owned by Aether's friends in Inazuma city.

"You say that like you're shocked I'm capable of that." Vena huffed out, now nervous talking about it once Xiao had returned, half expecting to receive a worried lecture.

"Of course I am, that's incredibly impressive."

Vena felt her face flush with heat, still not used to Xiao complimenting her, especially not in public.

Aether shot the girl a glance, laughing silently at her expression when he sent her a wink, all which Xiao had missed since he was too busy digging into the Almond Tofu Vena had made for him when he'd returned.

"Especially since you haven't played around much with your new electro powers yet... that's amazing."

"T-thank you." Vena muttered shyly, shoving a spoonful of the soup she'd made for her and Aether into her mouth as the butterflies fluttered in her stomach.

You'd think she'd be less shy when it comes to him after the night before-

Oh god, no- don't think about it.

"Also, I know you're in a great mood and I'd hate to ruin that, but-"

Those were the last words Vena wanted to hear from her best friend.

Almost immediately, she silently placed her nearly empty bowl of soup back down on her mat, her expression now blank as she searched his worried eyes.

"So, you know Scaramouche has the Shogun's gnosis..."

Where is he going with this?

Anxiously, she gave him a nod, feeling her throat tighten at the mention of the harbinger's name, knowing nothing but dread ensued.

"Well, according to Childe... they've lost contact with him ever since."

Her gaze drifted down into the broth of her soup bowl, her mind wandering to the conclusion.

"They think he went rogue." Vena spoke it matter of factly, not even as a question.

She didn't need to speak about the elephant in the room. Obviously that meant now not even Childe could keep tabs on him, and he very well could be even more unhinged than he previously was.

And to top it all off, he now held an Archon's gnosis, and he was possibly the most equip to access its full power seeing as how he was the Shogun's first ever test puppet.

"Lovely." Vena exhaled deeply, knowing that was quite possibly some of the worst news she could have received.

"So I'm guessing you're both going to be even more down my throat about my safety and keeping me locked away in Xiao's realm?" She snorted, hoping laughing about the matter would make her feel better.

"As much as I want to, no." Xiao finally spoke up from beside her, now lifting his gaze to meet her surprised eyes as she looked over to him.

"I know you'd be safer that way... but I didn't save you from him just to make you my own prisoner."

That hit deep. Deeper than Vena wanted it to. It was genuine, and beautiful, and heartwarming, but also filled her with anxiety. She knew he was afraid for her safety still, but regardless of that fear, he wanted her to live her life and make her own choices, to have her freedom. He choose to push aside his fears and worries for her, proving just how deeply he truly cared.