Chapter 17

"Seems we got back inside just in time." Xiao clarified as he simply stood gazing out one of the open windows, the rain now coming down almost like a full sheet of water.

This was the hardest he'd seen it rain here in months, and judging by the sky, it didn't look like it planned to let up anytime soon.

They'd silently walked back up to Xiao's room, and Vena assumed he just decided to stay considering the rain, not like he could go stand out on his rooftop like usual.

Well, he could. He'd just be drenched.

Vena lightly snickered to herself at the thought, causing Xiao to turn and give her a sideways look as he raised an eyebrow.

"I understand what you're feeling," He cleared his throat awkwardly as he turned away again, unable to maintain eye contact as he spoke, his gaze returning to the window.

"I know- I mean... I've heard stories- about you..." Vena spoke back, tripping over her words, trying her best not to offend the great Yaksha or act like she understood even an ounce of his pain.

She knew in his eyes, she had no right to complain or be sad. She'd hoped he didn't view her as weak.

Unknown to her, he was trying his best to get her to talk about it, hoping maybe she'd feel better.

"I haven't been alive nearly as long as you have but... I wish I was as strong as you are. When my family and friends started noticing I wasn't aging even a day and it had been years, they abandoned me. They called me a monster, inhuman. They wanted nothing to do with me and after that day, I hadn't seen them since. It's been almost 70 years since then, so I assume now that most of them are probably dead and gone. I was left all alone, to depend on myself for everything, and I'd be lying if I said that didn't terrify me still. Some days I'm okay, some days I can fight off those thoughts, and some days, I break all over again. Nightmares will send me into panic attacks.... I don't know how to deal with any of it, really." Vena sort of meandered along, explaining it shortly to the best of her ability, her mind still clogged and jumbled with all her emotions from before.

"That wasn't your family. Family does not equal blood." Xiao spoke matter-of-factly, and this caused Vena to stare up at him with wide eyes all over again.

How was he always so... right? It was like he knew exactly what to say to her even though his people skills weren't supposed to be that great. The fact that he even bothered to try to comfort her at all still shocked her a tad.

Because he understands. He feels the same way.

Vena recalled everything Zhongli had told her from before. How Xiao had watched countless friends die from either the darkness, going mad, or from other means. He knew what it felt like to be alone and secluded. Even though it was his contract to protect Liyue, he could never be around its people for more than a few fleeting moments before risking putting them in accidental danger.

The lights flickered, causing Vena to involuntarily let out a scared squeak as she flinched, jumping back nearly an entire foot.

A loud crack of thunder followed after, causing her to help even louder than the first, quickly ducking down to the floor as she put her hands on top of her head.

"Hmph." Xiao snorted under his breath, shaking his head as he turned to head toward one of the cabinets in his room.

"Sit. I'll get candles in case the power goes out."

Vena did as she was told, but instead laid down in his bed, hiding herself under the blanket while she kept an eye on him the entire time he searched the cabinet.