Chapter 19

That was so idiotic of me.

Xiao was mentally kicking himself the next morning as he thought back to the end of the previous night.

It had almost become a defense mechanism to just instantly throw up a wall and deflect whenever someone asked him an even semi-personal question, and he did it without a second thought, instantly noticing the look on her face as she walked away and headed back to his room to go to sleep, but he was unable to stop her before she could.

Why did she even want to know anyway? Human emotions make no sense.

The sound of soft footsteps behind him reached his ears, and he could tell exactly who it was just by the noise.

He turned to face the girl, remaining quiet as he locked eyes with her after a moment of scanning her body, taking note of her attire.

A similar outfit to the one she wore before; her battle attire, gloves and boots included.

"I was going to let you skip training today." Xiao spoke flatly, raising an eyebrow at her once his eyes had made their way back to her own, finally realizing the stern look on her face as she stared back at him intently.

"I meant it when I said I want to get stronger." Vena spoke matter of factly, a slight attitude laced into the tone of her voice as her sword appeared in her hand, readying herself into her combat stance.

An amused expression crept its way onto Xiao's features, actually a little impressed with her new found determination as he gave a slight nod of his head.

Her purple locks were currently done up into two French braids, probably so her hair wouldn't get in her way.

"Give me all you've got, then."

———————————————————————

"Let's take a break for now," Xiao jumped back a tad, putting some space between him and the clearly worn out girl, a scowl immediately being directed at him as she stood up straight, stretching her arms as she eyed him coldly.

Was she taking a note from his book this time?

"I don't need a break." She shot back, her sword now hovering behind her back as she crossed her arms over her chest, looking out towards the lake.

That was almost comical.

Xiao rested his hands on his hips, amber eyes half lidded as he simply gazed on at her figure, becoming more amused by the second.

"I'd like to get something from my room at the inn. It might make you lose your stiffness so your movements become more fluid." He simply stated, already turning away and heading the way of the inn.

"Stiff? I'm not stiff!" Vena yelled out after him, her frown deepening now, scoffing as she turned her back to him.

Honestly, she didn't even know why she was so on edge today. She just woke up feeling angsty, feisty, and with nothing to take it out on.

She rarely ever felt this way, anger just being an emotion she despised, seeing that it really never lead to anyone positive, so there was never much of a point, but whenever she did happen to feel rage, she had no clue how to deal with it; Much like her other emotions.