Chapter 69

"Here, drink." Vena held out a warm cup of tea toward the Adeptus, watching as he eyed the object with a skeptical look, raising an eyebrow when his eyes then met her own.

"This one won't make you go to sleep, I promise." Vena couldn't help but laugh, remembering the time before when she'd given him something that was a pain killer, but also doubled as a sedative.

Again, he quietly eyed her, eyes flicking back and forth between the cup and her own.

She extended her other hand instead, all of her fingers curled into her palm besides just her pinky finger as she stuck it out toward him.

"Pinky promise." Vena spoke, completely forgetting that this was a different world and that they probably didn't have a lot of the same traditions as her old home.

Realization hit when Xiao's expression turned even more confused, trying to figure out what this peculiar hand signal could possibly mean.

The girl's laughter filled the room, although mainly laughing at herself, only confusing Xiao further.

"It's called a pinky promise," She began to explain when her laughter finally died down, hand now reaching up to wipe away a tear that had formed in her eye from laughing so hard.

"In my old world, two people did this as a way to show the promise was to be taken very seriously. It was like... almost taboo to break a pinky promise." The girl explained with a smile, watching as the man gave a nod of his head, at least somewhat understanding as he extended his hand out to her, mimicking the same gesture she had done before.

Curling her pinky finger around his own, she watched as Xiao curiously gazed down at the action, his expression causing her to giggle all over again.

"Aren't you tired? You've barely slept the last few days..." Vena mused, finally dropping her hand to extend the hot cup of tea back in front of her lover, which he took without hesitation this time.

She'd already cleaned up all of her supplies and medications, Xiao now completely cleaned and medicated, various bandages and bandaids covering his entire body, some big and some small.

Xiao simply hummed a noise that sounded as if he was agreeing, now taking a long and deep sip of the drink she'd brought him as his eyes closed, feeling his own body relax as he did.

"I see why you like tea so much." He quietly added after a pause, his eyes once again glued on her form as she simply stood, gauging his reaction.

"If you like the taste of that, wait until you try some real tea. That one is full of medicinal herbs, it isn't really meant to taste as good as the others that you drink more for enjoyment." Vena's gaze was lazily hovering out at the open window, watching as the rain drops fell to the grass outside, the noise filling her brain with a calm and tranquil feeling, a sharp contrast from all the anxiety and stress of the past few days.

"You'll have to make it for me some time." Xiao spoke after he'd finished the cup, thoroughly surprising the girl as she raised an eyebrow at him.

Of course, Xiao would like the taste of medicine, seeing as how his taste buds were definitely a little more odd than most people seeing as how he didn't really care for majority of mortal food.

"If you get some sleep, I'll make it for you when you wake up." The girl came over to sit beside him on the bed, trying to sweet talk her lover into getting some rest.

She was extremely worried about his injuries and his fever, knowing he needed lost of fluids and rest, but also knowing how insanely stubborn he could be at times. His strength wasn't what she was doubting, she just wanted him to take care of himself.