Chapter 41

"You were the last person I'd hoped to find here, you know?"

Her ears were ringing violently, almost drowning out the nearby voice as she struggled to peel open her eyes, her forehead also throbbing sharply, indicating a horrid migraine.

The gentle scent of the sea was far gone, been replaced with a musty yet stone smell as she finally managed to crack her eyes open, vision failing her as she attempted to raise her head.

Her limbs were numb, filled with the dull ache of pins and needles as she tried to move her arms, only to quickly realize she was restrained by something as she heard the clank of chains rattle against her weak struggles.

"Vena?"

Who was that? She knew the voice sounded familiar, but it was so impossible to think at the moment or focus, too many questions whirling through her head as she finally could make out the figure kneeling down in front of her.

"What the hell have you done?" Vena croaked out, her voice cracking as she struggled to speak, trying her best to put on an intimidating face but failing as she was unable to hold back a wince in pain.

"Listen, I don't have much time." Childe spoke, Vena not falling for that sad and worried look that he'd plastered on his face.

"I knew when I heard Scara boasting about having a new prisoner that it was a strong possibility it was you. But I need you to pay attention to what I'm about to say, okay? I know you have no reason to believe me, but I'm on your side right now. Please, whatever you do, don't call for your Adepti friend. Scaramouche has Fatui stationed everywhere, tracking Aether. They have orders that if anything happens to Scara, they're to kill Aether immediately. Please just trust me, I'm going to try and sneak away and meet up with them to get you out of here, alright?"

"If you touch even one hair on his head-"

"Vena-" Childe cut her off as he gently rested his hands on her shoulders, grabbing her attention with the sheer urgency in his voice.

"I won't. That's why I'm going to risk my position as a Harbinger to help you escape this, okay? But you have to let me do it my way, or my family is in danger too, you know? Let's work together and nobody gets hurt." Despite how much Vena resented the Harbinger and knew he couldn't be trusted, the voice of reason in the back of her head said to not even risk Aether's well-being.

Sure, he was strong, but she had no idea the situation or if he'd sent other Harbingers to monitor him as well, and despite how scared she was for her current situation, she was far more worried about Aether than she ever would be for herself.

Defeated, the girl simply nodded, finally noticing the dull taste of blood that still lingered in her mouth, recalling that she'd been jumped and knocked out as soon as she'd gotten behind that rock, and then had awoken in what seemed to be some torture dungeon.

"And I know you won't listen, but take my advice- just do whatever Scaramouche says. He's a Harbinger- there's not much in the world he isn't willing to do. I don't want to see you hurt, believe it or not." Childe warned, giving her a weak reassuring yet pleading smile, almost making her believe his words were genuine.

"Why... would you help us?" She questioned, realizing how much blood she'd truly lost as she glanced down at the rest of her body, her clothes covered in what she assumed was her own blood.

"I owe Aether a favor, I guess."

Vena wasn't entirely convinced at that, but she didn't have many other choices.

The chains rattled again as she exhaled, the feeling of dread and anxiety almost suffocating her as she shut her eyes, trying to fight it all off.

He'd warned her prior, after all. It was her own fault for not heading his words. Maybe that should be reason enough that she listened to his warnings now.