Chapter 67

Xiao awkwardly stumbled through his thoughts, hoping somehow that they'd find their way to her, that she would know his true feelings and hopefully be able to hold onto his last words even though he knew it was futile.

Clank!

Golden eyes flew open, his vision still blurred and distorted from the toxins reeking havoc on his entire body, his eyes struggling to focus on the movement going on in front of him.

"What the hell? How?!" Xiao could hear Scaramouche yelling, his voice still raised and borderline frantic, obviously still unnerved by Xiao's previous words.

Faintly, a figure could be made out in front of him, and while all he could really differ were blobs of color, he still knew who was stood between him and that blade just on the aura alone.

There was no doubt in his mind, and even though he'd been saved, he couldn't handle the anxiety churning in his stomach at the new development.

"Vena..?" Xiao's voice was hoarse, now almost somehow feeling worse than he did before he'd accepted his unfair death.

He'd die if it meant she could possibly be safe from Scaramouche, but somehow, she was here, saving him yet again and even in the same fashion as the time before.

Obviously, even the Harbinger was taken by surprise. He didn't fear Vena in the slightest, but the shock of her sudden appearance and the fact that she again, reflected his attack confused him. How was she so strong that she not only deflected his swing, but also pushed back with enough force to knock him off balance and stumbling back a few feet?

Just as before, the girl before Xiao didn't respond. She simply remained in a casual stance with her katana drawn, holding it leisurely by her side.

Scaramouche's head was spinning. The force of the knock back she'd caused not only caught him off guard, but also confused him. Her strength was ten times what it had been the last time he'd fought her, and her speed was almost unbelievable. It's as if she moved as fast as lightening itself.

"Please... run." Xiao was struggling to breathe now, having used up what remaining strength he had left, his body growing exhausted with trying to fight off the effects of the poison.

Again, she didn't even acknowledge Xiao, her gaze far too focused on the Harbinger before her, but it wasn't in fear like before.

"Lookie here... My prize came to me this time. Hello, little dove." Scaramouche was quick to wipe away his previous surprise, now replacing it with his usual theatrical ego, waiting for the moment she inevitably crumbled beneath his gaze just like all those times before. He could see it in her eyes as clear as day the last time he had seen her, when Yae Miko traded the Shogun's gnosis for Aether and Vena's freedom, even if it was momentary.

Something about her wasn't right. Scaramouche couldn't quite place it, but even the look in her eyes wasn't the same, and now they even faintly glowed, the blue in her eyes brighter than it had been before, almost turning into a purple hue now.

Clearly the girl noticed Scaramouche's staring, because her previous flat expression quickly changed into a toothy grin, letting out a little giggle as she took note of the confusion hidden deep within his eyes.

"Truly.." Vena finally broke her silence, and Xiao's stomach dropped at the tone in her voice.

... The same as when she'd lost her mind the day before.

Had she fallen off the deep end again? What triggered it this time? Was the city okay- was Aether okay- was she okay-

"How horrible it is to love something death can touch." Vena playfully spoke, raising the hand that held her blade to give a subtle yet theatrical shrug, her eyes never once leaving Scaramouche's.