Chapter 25

The injured girl awoke with a whimper, instantly feeling every wound on her body protest in agony as she shifted in her bed, quickly realizing how heavy her limbs felt as she tried to move.

Wait, where am I?

Her eyes flung open, darting about the room as her nerves quickly relaxed, focusing now on the small form that was seated in the corner of the room.

Xiao.

The Adeptus was leaned forward, his upper arms resting on his knees with his hands clasped, his head tilted down towards the floor, not yet noticing she'd woken.

"Xiao," The girl whispered out, immediately flinching away at the sound of her own voice, now raspy from all the crying she'd done over the past few hours before she'd fallen unconscious and presumably been taken back to her room at the inn by Xiao.

His head shot up in a instant at the sound of his name, worried eyes locking with her own tired ones as he stood to his feet before taking just one step, stopping directly after, deciding to keep his distance.

His arms crossed over his chest as his usual blank yet intimidating stare returned, looking off to the side in order to avoid her gaze.

"You should save your strength. We can talk later." Came his casual reply.

Vena's eyes traversed the adeptus' body, trailing over the intimidating number of cuts, bruises and gashes that littered his usual perfect skin, his clothes still stained with the blood of those he'd slaughtered to protect her.

Guilt immediately set in her stomach in a knot, pressing her lips together tightly as the familiar sting of tears threatened her.

"You're hurt." She softly spoke, her voice almost cracking as she swallowed back the urge to start sobbing all over again.

The girl shifted in the bed in an attempt to stand, quickly hissing and wincing in pain as her entire body lit up in a burning fire of pain.

"Don't try to move, idiot." Xiao growled harshly, clearly still agitated from not only the situation they were now placed in, but also the intense amount of pain he was experiencing.

"Let me help you." Vena pleaded, unable to stand seeing him injured and still bleeding while her wounds were all covered and bandaged cleanly, presumably by the doctor of the inn.

"You're going to bleed out if you pop your stitches. Stop moving." He hissed again, watching in irritation as the girl struggled to get into a sitting position safely.

"There's a first aid kit in my bag over there," The girl spoke out weakly, pointing a shaky finger over toward the corner of the room as she took a deep breath, attempting to not cry out in pain as every nerve in her body screamed in protest at her movement.

Xiao sighed deeply, bringing a hand up to his face to pinch the bridge of his nose between his fingers in irritation, knowing she wasn't going to let up.

Without another word, Xiao silently grabbed her bag, hesitantly walking over towards the girl to drop it on the edge of the king sized bed, still trying to maintain his distance as if she had an sickness he didn't want to catch.

"Sit." Vena commanded softly as she rummaged through her bag, finding the medium sized box decently fast as she began to take out the pieces she needed to clean his wounds and possibly stitch anything that was too big of a gash to heal on its own.