Chapter 33

Everyone had been taken down safely to the docks of the harbor after the battle, now only the peaceful sounds of the water rustling could be heard as they began to speak to eachother.

Vena had already zoned out again, still in disbelief about what had occurred today, realizing that this world was far more dangerous and unpredictable than she first assumed.

All the more reason to keep getting stronger.

Ignoring the political bickering between the Adepti and the few Qixing members, Vena simply stood out on the edge of the pier with her arms crossed, hands holding onto herself in an attempt to comfort the last of her anxiety away as she focused on the sound of the gorgeous ocean before her.

How peaceful it was to her even after a battle like that.

She'd managed to sustain minimal injuries, and the few she'd gotten had already been healed up completely by Ganyu's adeptal energy.

I was able to withstand 3 different types of adeptal energy at once... huh.

The girl smiled to herself, actually for once proud of her performance in a fight and beyond thankful that everyone had come out completely unscathed.

Vena's mind finally focused as she heard Xiao speak up, saying something about wanting to leave the city.

"Eager to go, Conquerer of Demons?" Mountain Shaper teased, getting no response from the other Adepti.

Vena exhaled quietly, not knowing why she'd expected a different outcome either way, but accepting it regardless as she heard foot steps walking away down the pier.

A hand rested on her shoulder, causing her to turn ever so slightly to meet Aether's gaze.

"Let's go meet up with Zhongli and let him know what happened."

———————————————————————

"Why would he just give his gnosis away to the Fatui?" Vena pondered quietly as her and Aether were walking outside the city, trying to relax and make sense of the conversation they'd just experienced.

"And Zhongli is Rex Lapis, and he faked his death." Aether added onto her sentence, also confused.

Night was upon them, but the two had wanted to just get away for a moment to try and process the day they'd had while Diluc and Chongyun had gone back to wait for them at their rooms in the inn.

Originally, Vena was just going to attempt to sleep, but Aether had insisted on a quick walk in the night's cold air before hand, and she couldn't find it in herself to decline.

"What a shitty birthday." The girl busted out in a fit of laughter, still in disbelief at the fact that this had all happened on her birthday of all days, Aether unable to contain himself as he started laughing as well.

How horridly ironic the day had been.

"Are you feeling alright, though?" Aether's questioned after they'd calmed down from their laughing fit, his tone changing drastically.

"I'm okay." The girl answered in almost a whisper, unable to really find the words to explain her emotions, similar to how she'd always felt.

"Well, maybe this will make you feel better." Vena could hear a small smile in Aether's voice as he stopped walking.

The girl turned back to gaze at him oddly, wondering what the hell he was referring to as she stopped as well.

Noticing him gazing back ahead, the girl followed his line of sight, her muscles stiffening all over again as her mind registered the figure that was a few feet away, leaning up against a large rock with his arms crossed across his chest, eyes closed as his head was titled down toward the floor.