Chapter 34

I'm overwhelmed and even he knows it. How embarrassing.

Vena had remained silent ever since, just allowing herself to be brought into the main house as he sat her down in what appeared to be a living room area, comfy with couches and potted plants, Liyue style paintings and furniture.

The girl tried her best to take deep breaths, knowing she was seconds away from a panic attack if she wasn't careful and didn't try to relax, her mental battery far past drained now.

The scent of herbs reached her nose, causing her to finally look up from where she'd been seated on the couch over toward the room Xiao had left into a few minutes prior.

The door pushed open, Vena quickly dropping her gaze back to the gift he'd given her which was simply rested in her open hand that she'd rested on her lap.

Booted footsteps approached until they were in her line of view, stood directly infront of her, prompting her to raise her gaze.

Again, his arm was out stretched to her, this time holding a cup of hot tea between his fingers, waiting for her to take it.

Shying away, the girl gently took it in her empty hand, muttering a quiet thank you as she looked off vacantly, anywhere but at him.

"I don't hate you." He began softly again, reaching down to take his gift from her hand and place it down on the table directly in front of her where it would be safe and she could firmly hold her tea with two hands.

Arms instinctively crossed across his chest like always while he rested back against a wooden beam nearby, not feeling worthy of being too close to her again.

Blue eyes actually locked onto his own as he spoke, and he could finally see the emotion hidden within them.

The sadness they held. The betrayal she'd felt. The confusion of what she was feeling towards him and what he'd possibly felt towards her.

"You told me to stay away from you." She spoke out flatly, feeling her emotions actually steady a little as she maintained her cool, trying to keep from flipping back and forth between crying or being angry or confused.

"I- changed my mind."

She'd taken a sip of her tea, her gaze falling to her feet, but now they were right back on him as she searched his face, assuming she'd find the answer in that blank expression.

He was virtually unreadable and it frustrated her to no end.

"What changed your mind?" She sighed with a sarcastic smile, just knowing that this was too good to be true and he'd find a way to disappear on her again, just like everyone else before him whether they were friends, family or more.

"Aether."

Vena almost choked on a sip of tea at the admittance.

"Excuse me?" She coughed out a little more rudely than she'd meant to, eyeing him with an arched eyebrow as she attempted to clear her throat softly.

Xiao exhaled at that, his eyes now locked on his own boots as his eyes closed.

"I wasn't supposed to tell you, but he called for me a few days ago. Assuming he was in danger, I jumped. Little did I know, he wanted to chastise me about you."

The girl rolled her eyes at that, still surprised regardless. Why did Aether feel so strongly towards her and Xiao? So much so to actually try and get involved.

"He told me about your past."

The sentence made her blood run cold.

Unable to feel her limbs, she accidentally dropped her cup on the floor, immediately jumping up to her feet as her eyes went wide, tea splattering as the cup crashed to the wooden floor below.