Chapter 18: The Astronomy Tower

My story keeps switching from past to present tense lol! I promise I'll edit the chapters after I finish the book. ( I'm more focused on developing the plot) 

The Occlumency lessons were going horrible. I was slightly improving, yet Harry was still in the same place as before. It hurt, having to see my brother in such pain when he tried to resist the spell. When we both had to face yells from Snape. All it did was further reinforce the idea of how helpless we truly were in this situation.  

There were times where I had complete mental breakdowns, knowing the horrible memories Snape probably saw in my head. Those thoughts belonged to me, and me only, and now, the very last person who I want to see them is seeing them. 

You know those nights where you just can't sleep? Anxious thoughts are keeping you up, and no matter how much sleeping medicine you take, you can't stay asleep? Tonight was one of those nights. I kept tossing and turning and groaning at how I wasn't able to fall asleep and even punching at my pillow for being warm on both sides. Ginny even got up at one point to yell at me for how loud I was being. I checked the clock and almost shrieked in pain when I realized it was only 2 a.m, and classes didn't even start till 8.  

I gave up and got up, throwing on a sweater before sneaking out of the Gryffindor dorms. Unlike Harry, I didn't need an invisibility cloak to remain undetected. I just walked wherever my feet led me, and today, they led me to the place I haven't been too since I came back to Hogwarts. I reached the stairs of the Astronomy Tower. So many memories from this place. I slowly walked up the stairs, regretting my decision to not change into sweatpants, as I was freezing in the cold in my pajama shorts. When I reached the top I realized I should come up here more. The sky was a beautiful late night purple, stars sparking, the crescent moon shining bright, the trees of the forests surrounding the school giving a mysterious feeling as the moon shined on it, all perfectly combined with the October wind. I stood there memorized, only interrupted when I heard a rather emphasized huff.  

"Hey." I look slightly down at the familiar voice, seeing Mattheo puffing out smoke. Of course. 

"Oh, I didn't see you." He didn't say anything. I looked back up at the view, however, I couldn't enjoy it as I was just mere seconds ago. I felt his eyes on me. "Will you stop looking at me? Look at the view or something, somewhere other than me." 

He slightly shrugged. "I'm already looking at it," he said so fucking casually, that it wasn't even funny. 

"Being a cheesy romantic doesn't suit you Riddle." 

I leans his head back against the ledge. "As a prefect, I should let you know that wandering out after hours isn't allowed." 

"Not like you follow the rules much either, eh Riddle?" 

He throws his cigarette of the ledge, pausing for a second before responding. "Advantages of being a prefect. Why don't you have a seat?"  Just to mess with him, I sit right where I was standing, still a few feet away from him. He rolls his eyes and fiddles with the lighter in his hand, still looking at me. " How've you been." 

I nodded. "Better, Loren's been really supportive." 

His hand clenched around his lighter and his jaw tightened a bit. "I know why you're saying that, and if you're saying that to make me jealous, trust me, it's working." 

I can't help but smirk at how much he's still infatuated by me. "Nice to know what an effect I have on you Riddle. Unluckily for you, I'm taken, and even if I wasn't, I wouldn't be open for you." 

"After everything I did to convince you, you still don't trust me." 

I scoff. "I did have faith in you Mattheo, blind faith even, and you broke it." 

It's silent after that. I couldn't bear it, it just felt as if tension, tears, and hurt were in the air. Without another word, Mattheo got up and left. 

I still didn't feel like going to the dorms and sat down, but since I was bored and not doing anything, I decided to go anyway. Once I reached he dorms, I knew there was no point in trying to sleep again since it was 4am, and I was fully awake now. I believe I just read a book for three hours leading up to breakfast, finally sighing in relief when I finished the book as soon as the clock hit 7 am. I changed into my school robes and made it to the Great Hall for breakfast. As the owls flew down for mail, I saw Mcgonagall walking up to me with a disappointed look on her face. "Ms.Potter, if you'll follow me." I quickly glance at Ginny next to me before following her out of the Great Hall . The whole time it is eerily silent, and she remains having a disappointed look on her face. When we finally reach her classroom, I almost scream at the sight.  

Sitting at a desk is Mattheo with a triumphant expression on his face.