Chapter Thirty-Six

Evans POV

Elijah fell asleep a little while after Josh left and I just sat with him, holding his hand.

Amanda comes back to the room about an hour later with the test results.

"Do you know what's wrong with him?" I ask as soon as she enters the room, she just smiles at me and nods.

"Is he okay?" I ask and she nods again.

"He's absolutely fine. It seems his body is going through what's called a beta shift." She says.

"What's that?" I ask.

"I think Josh should be here when I explain everything." She says and I agree. Although, I'm eager to know what's going on with Eli, I know Josh should be here to.

"I'll call him and see if he can come back down now." I tell her and she tells me to call her when Josh gets here.

I dial Josh's number and it rings twice before he he answers.

"Hey baby, are you okay? Is Eli okay? Did something happen?" He asks panicked.

"No, no we're both fine it's just that the test results came back and I wanted to know if you could come back to the clinic soon so that Amanda can tell us all what's going on with Eli ?" I ask him.

"Okay, Julia is still in the middle of the ritual but I'll leave now. Dads here and I'm sure he can handle it. I'll be down in a few minutes." He says before he hangs up.

"Love?" Eli calls and I quickly walk over to his bed side.

"Hey honey, how are you feeling?" I ask him as I help him sit up.

"So much better than earlier. Do they know what's wrong?" He asks and I nod.

"Amanda said you're going through something called a beta shift but she's waiting till Josh gets here to explain everything. He should be here any minute." I tell him and as those word leave my mouth Josh walks in.

"Hey sweetheart how are you feeling?" Josh asks as he walks up to us and kisses both of us. Elijah smiles at him gently.

"I'm feeling a lot better than I did this morning." He tells Josh.

"I'm going to get Amanda." I say and they both nod. I leave the room and see Amanda walking down the hallway. I wave her down and she walks up to me.

"Josh's here." I say and we both head back to Eli's room.

"Hello, how are you doing Elijah?" Amanda asks as she checks his drip and he tells her his much better.

"So, what's wrong with him? Is he okay?" Josh asks Amanda.

"He's perfectly fine. He's going through something called a Beta shift." She says.

"What's that?" I ask her.

"Well when a beta is mated to an alpha their body adjusts to the needs of the alpha." She starts.

"What does that mean?" Josh asks.

"Well it means Elijah's body is adapting so that he can fall pregnant." She smiles at Eli and he blushes.

"I can f-fall p-pregnant?" Eli stutters and Amanda nods.

"Yes, you can so you should be careful when you have intercourse. Evan you already know that you can fall pregnant so I'm assuming you took precautions when you first mated." Amanda says as she looks down at her clipboard and I feel my body turn cold.

"W-What?" I stutter and Amanda looks up at me in question.

"No no no." I shake my head as I stand up.

"You didn't know?" Amanda asks totally confused.

"Do I look I knew?" I snap and she flinches.

"Shit, I'm sorry." I apologise and she just shakes her head.

"It's okay Evan. I just assumed you knew since you went into heat. You have omega genes which means you have a 50% chance of falling pregnant." She says and I just flop down onto the chair, next to Eli's bed, in shock.

"We didn't.." I trail and Amanda looks at me quizzically.

"You didn't what?" She asks.

"When I went into heat we didn't use protection because I didn't know I could fall pregnant." I tell her and my heart rate picks up.

"Baby it's okay calm down." Josh soothes as he walks up next to me and wraps me up in his arms.

"Have you had any symptoms of pregnancy?" Amanda asks and I shrug.

"I don't know what the symptoms are." I tell her.

"Have you been feeling tired lately or been having cravings or throwing up and feeling nauseous?" She asks and I shake my head

"Okay well you may not be pregnant. But we can do an ultra sound to check if you would like." She suggests and I nod.

"Yes, yes please." I say.

"Okay, I'll go down to ultra sound room to see if it's available and then we can check for you okay." She says and I nod.

"Thank you." I tell her before she leaves.

"I can fall pregnant." Both Eli and I say and look at each other. A huge smile stretches across his face but mine doesn't match his.

"I don't want this." I tell them and Eli's smile drops. Josh let's go of me and looks down at me.

"You don't." He asks and I shake my head.

"I don't. I don't want to fall pregnant. I thought that part of being omega wouldn't be part of me since my gamma genes are stronger and I was so grateful for that." I explain.

"So do you not want kids?" Eli asks nervously and my eyes widen.

"Of course I do. I just never thought I would be the one carrying them." I sigh and sit down.

"Well you don't have to. I can." Eli says giving me a warm smile and I give him a shaky one back.

"Maybe I can stop it." I say.

"Stop what?" They both ask.

"There's medication I can take to stop me from falling pregnant." I explain.

"Birth control?" Eli questions and I shake my head no.

"No ,um the medication I'm talking about will slowly destroy the organs inside that would let me fall pregnant."

"No!" They both shout.

"You can't do that Evan, it could kill you!" Josh shouts.

"It's my body Josh. I can do whatever I want with it." I shout back angrily. Josh storms out of the room and I sigh as I rub my head in frustration.

"Love, think about how this could effect you. You could get really sick. We could lose you." Eli says sadly and I can see the tears in his eyes.

"I know the risks Eli. I'm not saying I'm going to do it. I'm just saying it's an option." I walk over to Eli and hug him. He squeezes me and presses his face against my chest.

"You made it seem like you were going to go through with it." Eli says.

"No, I just didn't like Josh telling me what I could or couldn't do with my body." I run my fingers through Eli's hair and he pulls me closer.

"He's just worried about you love. You know how much he loves you, us."

"I know." I lean my head against Eli's and I hear someone walk into the room.

"The ultra sound room is ready for you."