Our Last Stand

(A/N)

Wattpad is dumb for me.

And thank you for 100k readers!

"Hoo!" There was a sudden owl that landed on the branch right next to me. Its head tilted as if it was analyzing me. Right then and there, my left eye had suddenly yellowed up as I was watching from the perspective of another owl that was cleaning its back. 

After doing so, it turned around to show that Coco was scooping up Gura, who was still unconscious. Coco had turned to me as the owl and gave a nod for some reason. Was she able to communicate with the owl as well? 

"No, I was able to lead her to your friend with the owl." A familiar concept's voice from oil's mouth as it stared at me. At this point, I wasn't surprised that it was talking anymore. 

"...Why are you helping us?" My question had made the owl's head tilt.

"Helping? Hmm, I suppose you can say it like that. But it's better to say that I'm just trying to help wrap things up." I was unsure what she meant by that. Did that mean that she was going to aid us to stop Mumei? And if she was able to do so before, why now? For what urgency did she have to assist us now all of a sudden? 

"...Thanks, I guess." I was unsure if she had any other motives from doing so, but right now, we don't have enough of a chance against Mumei. 

"I'm… sorry." Hearing Mio, she came from out of the bushes with her ears drooping. There was disappointment and sadness in her eyes, and I couldn't bear to stand there while she stood there like that. 

"You don't need to be sorry. Your reaction was understandable… even if I couldn't see how I looked." I was disappointed in myself to end up having to ask Fubuki what I asked. Asking a friend to kill me? That… Is unacceptable. And Mio… She had to see me in a state like that… 

This day… had been taxing to all of us. 

But… there's no time to stand around here anymore, any second that's not spent facing Mumei would eventually give her the advantages of preparing herself. I'd rather not see another army of robots again. 

"Haru… Do we have a chance to beat her?" I was about to speak before Mio spoke out first. The question had made me pause and take a look at Mio herself. 

Her hair was messy with twigs sticking out of her hair. Her clothes were ruined in dust and rips. And her eyes lacked any sense of warmth from her heart. 

All that was there was despair. 

"...Even if we don't, I'll find a way. Let's just-"

"There's an enemy out there that's impossible to defeat, and she has an army of robots that's immune to magic damage. And I… I almost let Fubuki die. I promised her that I would protect her, and I froze up at a time when you both needed me and I…" She clenched the sides of her skirt. 

"I've witnessed it as well. A shame that she had to bile, but what can you do? Will you blame her for an act of fear?" I closed my eyes to Fauna's words. What reason would she have getting involved with this conversation? What is she aiming for? Regardless, Mio is my priority right now. Has what she witnessed in the tower been too much for her? 

"...I still won't give up and accept the destruction of this world. Mio, you said that you would protect Fubuki, but wouldn't allowing the end of this world to be exactly what you wouldn't want?" 

"That's not what-" She took a step back as her words became hesitant. 

"Then what do you mean, Mio? What about the people of this world? Their sudden shock when they realize that they died? Would it not be on us because we sat here and just allowed this to go on? What about our friends, Mio? Do their lives not matter?"