Chapter 45- Not ready

The days went by so quickly. I found warmth in Denarie. She is not only my friend but my mother figure and carer.

Every day she would have food and clothes ready. Not only that my child loved her for the comfort she provided us.
I spent my day's painting and reading. I barely left the house in fear of losing this.
The peace. The comfort. The kindness.

I still woke up with nightmares of Carter and the Cardinal council. That day.
Everything seemed so far away the fear and the prophecies. Every time the fear presented itself, I had someone who could help through without bias.

The baby was happy. There weren't any magic tantrums and he was kept happy with the cake.

But today there was a dread that disturbed my peace. I couldn't get comfortable without thinking about the unreasonable fear. The keys rattled outside the door making me stand up from the sofa, the book I was reading on the floor.
Denarii came through the door with a panic that I haven't seen before.

'What is wrong I asked her. My hand to my bump. The baby kicked in response.
She pushed her fringe back. That has become her habit when frustrated.
She came towards me and guided me towards the seat I was in.

She helped me get comfortable.
' The council is sending beings of every kind to find you. They want the baby to be born in the Council Palace. The Cardinals want to be a part of the birth and the father of the child' she paused. I knew what he would be doing. Call it intuition.

She sighed. She lay against the sofa.

'he is killing and hexing anyone in the way' she whispered. Denarii was a tough cookie but she was in so much danger from Carter.
She got up and went to the kitchen.
'Are we okay, here?' I asked. Even though barely anyone knew that I was here. Denarii was in danger from Carter and the council.
There was a sharp pain in my bump.
I winced. The pain was increasing as the morning went on.

'Are you okay, sweetheart' she asked. I smiled at her the pain eased.
Sighing.
' I have had cramps and pain in my lower stomach' I said.
She came around to where I was sitting.
' you need to tell me when this happens. This can be labour signs. Wolf pregnancies and births are brutal. So we have to be prepared. Especially with this being your first birth' she whispered. She held my bump. Touching the lower half of my bump.
' he is low, Valentina' she whispered. There was worry on her face.
'What does that mean, Denarie' I asked her. I stopped her hand from travelling further down to get her attention.
' it means he is ready to come and we should be prepared. He shouldn't be here this early but it happens sometimes with stressful events and among other things' she said with a kind smile.

I let her rub my bump.
'He needs to stay in there for as long as possible, Denarie' I said worriedly.

Just as I said that a sharp pain shoot through me.
I gasped. The pain made me freeze.

'Dearie, the pain' I moaned as it eased off. I sighed.
She quickly got up and dialled someone.
The pain started again.
Baby, please stay there for a month more.
' The baby might be coming' she whispered into the phone.
'Okay, please protect her' she whispered again. She started writing things in the notebook she kept near the telephone.
She slammed the phone down.
' Please, listen to me and don't question anything yet' she whispered.
She helped me stand as another sharp pain shot through me, making me bow.

' the baby, Denarie I don't think this labour is fake' I whispered with tears in my eyes.

She helped me sit and put pillows behind me.
She then ran to the kitchen to put on the kettle.

' we need boiled water. Clothes etc' she whispered to herself.
She told me that had a care package ready but she needed spares in case. It was going to be only us two, since none of the planner people could come.