➥ Prologue

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐

└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

2004
3rd Grade

She was getting better. The medication was working. The doctor had just said so. Sydney was sitting by her moms bed. This was probably only the 3rd time she'd been inside her hospital room. 

Sydney felt bad but she just couldn't see her mom like that. Especially during her episodes. She'd yell about how Stiles was trying to kill her, she would ignore Sydney completely. Even when she stepped in front of Stiles, her mom just looked straight through her. Like she wasn't there. 

But that was all over now. The doctors had said that she was getting better. So they all celebrated. They ate the best food they could find in a hospital and just joked around. Like a real family that wasn't being rocked with a potentially fatal illness.

A few moments before the doctor had come in Sydney had gotten off the phone with Vivian and Tara. They had asked if she wanted to come over and bake with them. She had told them no because she expected bad news and wanted to be there for her brother and father.

But it was great news, and now Sydney and Stiles were sitting next to their mother while they waited for their father to get back. He had been called away for a car crash and promised it'd be quick.

Sydney wanted to be here with her mother, but she also kind of wished she has gone baking. Then she could bring some cookies to celebrate at least. She was just there, sitting in comfortable silence.

"Honey? You okay?" Claudia asked softly looking over at her daughter. "You've been fiddling with your hands for the last 5 minutes."

"Um.. it's nothing." Sydney said but she also had a brother and you know what happens when you lie.

"Vivian and Tara wanted to have a girls baking afternoon with her and she said no." Stiles snitched. "Now we don't get fudge cookies."

"You wouldn't have gotten anything even if I did go." Sydney said with her arms crossed. Claudia looked at her children with a fond look.

"You should go." Claudia said making Sydney snap her head back over to her mother.

"What? No, I want to be here with you." Sydney said quickly leaning forward.

"I don't want to keep you from your friends. I know you, you want to go." Claudia said with a small smile at Sydney's sheepish look.

"Are you sure it's fine?" Sydney asked trying to hide her excitement.

"Go Miroslava." Claudia said with a laugh. Stiles had gotten their grandfathers name and had shortened it to Stiles. Sydney had gotten the boring name, well in her mind she did. She complained about it until Claudia started calling her Miroslava, it was what Claudia was almost named. It made Sydney feel special.