Chapter 63- Training with Deltas

(July 4, 1994)

Stun rays fly all over the place as a troop of Delta Force soldiers race towards cover. This particular troop is conducting a training exercise in Nevada, honing their skills even further in preparation for possible deployment to the Andromeda Galaxy.

The troop leader, Major Garret Callahan, calls out, "Spread out! Separate fireteams!"

The troop separates into fireteams of 4 men each, spreading out among the buildings and rubble of the training course, all while avoiding stun rays from the troops of the 4th Infantry Division, who are serving as the enemies for the exercise.

Callahan ducks to avoid a stun ray heading right for his head. He then taps his earpiece and says, "Lieutenant Fives. Press on to the objective."

"Copy that, Major," Fives says. This is his tenth exercise like this with his troop since he joined the Delta Force, and he doesn't intend for it to be the first failure.

Fives looks behind him at the three men of his fireteam and says, "Alright, men. Stick close behind me. We're gonna stick to the right side of these buildings, then head straight for the target."

"We're right behind you, Lieutenant!" one of the men, Master Sergeant Derek Grant, says.

Fives nods with a grin, then says, "Move!" He then charges towards the next building, his assault blaster at the ready. The three other Deltas charge behind him.

Several of the "hostiles" see them and fire stun rays at them. Fives somersaults to avoid several, and one of his three men takes out two of them with his own stun rays. His fireteam then ducks behind the building they were rushing towards. They pause for a moment, then make their dash to the next building, this time without incident. They repeat this, heading to the last building before their objective.

Now, Fives signals for the men to halt. He slowly peeks his head around the side of the building, taking a look at the target.

The target building is a large two level home. The goal of the exercise is to get inside and retrieve a high value target inside the building. Multiple men of the 4th Division are standing guard outside on the ground level, and there are several snipers on the roof.

"Sir. Fillmore's fireteam is moving up on the opposite side," Grant says.

"Copy," Fives says. He looks out around the edge of the building again, then says, "Cover me!"

Fives dashes forward and hides behind a small oil drum standing upright a few feet away. He then leans out from behind it and fires his blaster in stun mode. Within seconds, he's stunned 5 men. By the time the "hostiles" realize what's happening, the other three men in Fives' fireteam have engaged, and stun the remaining guards outside the entrance into the home.

Fives motions his men forward, and they hurry to the entrance to the home. Fives puts his hand on the doorknob to test it, and finds it not locked. He glances behind him and nods once to his men, who nod back. Fives then throws the door open and storm in, assault blaster raised. He charges in and turns right once he gets in, scanning the hallway. The man behind him rushes in and turns to the left, clearing the hallway from the other direction. The next two men alternate right, then left.

Once all four are inside, and they confirm there's no threats in this hallway, Fives says, "Stairs." He then moves over to the staircase just a few feet away and starts heading up, aiming his assault blaster up the stairs. He moves up slowly, one step at a time, with the other three men following up one at a time, while the last one holds his position at the bottom of the stairs, guarding it.