Chapter 53- Crisis at the Heart

Colonel Mofaz slowly makes his way to the command bridge of the Terran battleship Vladivostok. The ship, along with the Star Destroyers Sentinel and Victorious, has been stationed in a star system not far from the planet Scipio.

Over the past several days, a crisis had been brewing on the planet among the Galactic Banking Clan. Senator Amidala had, with the help of Rush Clovis, discovered serious corruption among the heads of the Banking Clan, and through extensive investigation, had been able to prove that the heads of the Banking Clan had been heavily embezzling funds from the bank. After this had been proven, the heads of the Banking Clan had been removed from their positions and arrested. Rush Clovis was now being returned to Scipio, in company with Senator Amidala, to assume his new position and oversee the transfer of power.

However, the Terran Joint Command has been concerned. In the words of General Powell, something wasn't adding up. Terran leaders were still worried about possible Separatist involvement. So, as a precaution, two members of the Zulu Force had detached to Scipio in secret as recon, and the three Terran warships had been stationed near Scipio as a quick response force in case it was needed.

As he walks onto the bridge, he sees Vice Admiral Vilikov standing at an information display. Mofaz walks over to him, and says in greeting, "Admiral."

Vilikov turns to Mofaz. "Colonel," he says respectfully.

"Any update from Scipio?" Mofaz asks.

"Nothing. Senator Amidala has not yet contacted us," Vilikov responds.

Almost as soon as the words are out of his mouth, the holoprojector in front of them begins beeping. Mofaz presses a button to activate it, and Anakin comes up on the holoprojector.

"General Skywalker. What is it?" Vilikov asks.

"Admiral Vilikov. We have a crisis on our hands. Rush Clovis has decreed that interest rates for the Republic's loans will be raised. And now, the Separatists are staging an invasion of Scipio. It seems that Clovis staged a Separatist takeover of the banks. We need to respond. Are you close enough to lend assistance?" Anakin asks.

"Yes, General. We are in a system just about four parsecs away. We will prepare for the jump to hyperspace immediately," Vilikov says before cutting the transmission.

Vilikov turns to his navigation officers. "Set course for Scipio. All forces to maximum alert," he orders.

The navigation officers immediately begin making the calculations for the hyperspace jump, while a readiness alert is sent through all three ships. Pilots race to their starfighters, and troops begin boarding LAATs, as well as a few C-9979s captured from the Separatists, in preparation for a ground assault.

As the preparations are underway, the holoprojector activates again. This time, its Lieutenant Collins and Captain Jones, the two Zulu Force commandos deployed to Scipio.

"Admiral Vilikov. The Separatists have invaded Scipio. We are holding position out of sight," Collins says.

"Understood, Lieutenant. We are already aware, and will soon be making the jump to hyperspace. Find Senator Amidala and get her out of there if you can. If you can't, keep eyes on her and wait for the opportune moment. We will be arriving at Scipio shortly," Vilikov says.

"Understood, Admiral," Collins says before cutting the transmission.

Within a few minutes, the calculations are made, and the three Terran warships make the jump to hyperspace.

(The Senate)

"It is with grave news I come before you. Count Dooku and his Separatist betrayers have manipulated us, my friends," Palpatine says as he addresses an emergency meeting of the Senate.