Chapter 12- Battle of Nigeria

A volley of heavy laser bolts crash down around the Nigerian troops. Several are killed, while others continue in their retreat south.

The Battle of Nigeria had begun almost 24 hours prior. The initial droid force of about 100,000 battle droids and 1,200 heavy droid units had landed near the Nigerian city of Ilorin. A division of 10,000 Nigerian troops was in Ilorin at the time of the landing. Despite heavy resistance from the Nigerians, the droids had captured the city, and the surviving Nigerian troops retreated south.

Now, the Nigerian lines are getting closer and closer to the major city of Lagos. The Nigerians have lost a little over 20,000 men. However, reinforcements are beginning to arrive. 10,000 clones stationed in Lagos have come up to reinforce the Nigerian lines. At the same time, Terran reinforcements have arrived in the form of 6,000 troops from Benin, Togo, and Ghana from the west and 3,000 troops from Cameroon from the east. At the same time, Nigerian commanders have received from the their northern neighbor, Niger, that a full 6,500 troops of Niger's have crossed Nigeria's northern border and are coming down from the north to catch the droids in a pincer movement.

However, Nigerian commanders are worried. The droids are closing in on Lagos, and the lines of the Nigerians, clones, and other African allies are continuing to be pushed back towards Lagos. Worse still, there are no Jedi in Africa, and the nearest member of the ASAT team is too far away to help.

In the desert north of Lagos, a Nigerian regiment launches a fierce counterattack against the droid lines. The fierce attack by the Nigerians pushes droid lines back a full mile across a two mile stretch before the droids are able to strike back and stop them.

As the Nigerians realize their counter attack is failing, the surviving troops turn to retreat back out of range. As they do, a small strike force of 8 MiG-21s, 8 Jaguars, and 4 L-39 attack planes streaks in to launch an air strike against the droid armies. Vulture droids streak down towards them, but are intercepted by the MiG-21s. Despite the age of the MiGs, they score almost 20 kills against the Vulture droids, as the Vultures find the small, manuverable fighters very difficult targets to hit. Although four of the MiGs end up being shot down, the MiGs manage to keep the Vultures off the Jaguars and L-39s as they attack the droids. The Nigerian planes are able to destroy over a thousand droids and several dozen heavy droid units before they are forced to retreat.

The droids, unshaken by the combined Nigerian attack, press on. The Nigerian commanders order their units to prepare to retreat back towards Lagos to establish a more firm defense.

In the Nigerian capital of Abuja, Nigerian commanders are feeling very nervous. They know that if Lagos is lost, it will break Nigeria's army, and leave Abuja unable to resist against the Separatists. Already, some Separatist units are starting to divert towards Abuja.

"Send a message to the Americans again," Lt. Gen. Salihu Ibrahim, the commander of the Nigerian Army, orders his aides.

One of his aides gets on the radio, going onto a special channel the Nigerians have organized with the Pentagon in Washington D.C. "This is Nigerian military command. Our situation is dire. Please, Americans! Where are the reinforcements you promised?!"

Several minutes later, a voice comes back over the radio. "Nigerian military command, this United States National Command. Our carrier is still on the way, but we're a little tied up here at home, so no troops will be coming. However, we have another way we can help you. Please transmit exact coordinates where the droid armies are located."

"Standby," the Nigerian officer responds. Using the most recent report from the front lines, the Nigerian officer transmits the coordinates where the droid army is currently located.