Chapter 44: Grill

Normal Perspective:

A few days had passed since the Nemesis Prime incident, with the Autobots, as well as Knockout and Breakdown, spending them recovering from the incident. Though not all was well, for Agent Fowler was called to attend a mandatory debriefing with General Bryce to discuss what had happened since the last evaluation. Michael wanted to attend it as well, but he wasn't allowed to, much to his annoyance, so he instead decided to hang out with Cliffjumper and Jessica that day, making him feel better.

Agent Fowler arrived at the General's office, and was surprised to find someone with a camera also in the room.

"Special Agent Fowler, please come in." General Bryce greeted. 

"What's Private Daley doing with that camera?" Fowler asked as he entered the room.

"He will be making a record of today's session." Bryce explained.

"Soldier, too close." Fowler said, as the camera was too close to his face, and Daley moved back. "Sorry I didn't dress for the occasion." He apologized as he sat down.

"Formality won't be any more necessary than usual, Bill." Bryce replied. "But I do need to inform you that our higher-ups are on the warpath."

"They want answers regarding recent events." Fowler said, understanding.

"Perhaps we should begin with the demise of Optimus Prime." Bryce said, jumping right into it.

"I thought we straightened all this out." Fowler said, somewhat annoyed that they still thought Optimus was dead. "Prime is alive and well."

"That's difficult for our superiors to accept." Bryce admitted. "Without seeing Optimus or the alleged impostor."

"Side by side?" Fowler asked, knowing that such was a dangerous move at the time with the military order still in effect. "That didn't seem like the wisest option at the time. The sky jockeys were under direct orders to destroy any and all Autobots on sight."

"We were in a heightened state of security." Bryce reasoned. 

"Let's consider the positives." Fowler said, and handed Bryce a file. "We now possess greater intel regarding MECH, particularly their leader, Silas. The stage name of one Colonel Leland Bishop, ex-Special Tactics." 

"The architect of Project Damocles." The General stated.

"Satellites in orbit firing laser beams at any target on Earth." Fowler said, slight concern in his voice. "Long since mothballed, and the primary reason for Bishop's discharge. He had other wild ideas, which he practiced with even greater abandon." He went on, thinking about Breakdown's abduction months ago. "Once he went rogue!"

"And still, no sign of his remains?" Bryce asked, not seeing how he could just disappear without a trace under the recent circumstances.

"Of greater concern, MECH Agents like Silas might also be Special Tactics." Fowler said.

"You mean, currently enlisted?" Bryce asked.

"One obvious motive for hiding their faces." Fowler agreed, seeing as it would explain how all of them wear masks except for Silas. "I would urge a thorough investigation, and leave bigger threats to metal hands more capable than our own." He said, thinking of the Autobots.

"Because you've been allowed to operate at such deeply classified levels, perhaps you could provide some background." Bryce said.

Fowler just sighed, but did so regardless.

"Our transforming visitors are Autonomous Robotic Organisms from the planet, Cybertron. They were fighting a war."

"Foremost, over control of our world's supply of Energon. The fuel and lifeblood of all Autobots and Decepticons alike."
-
"Do you recall the period late in the war when both sides began hiding their Energon spoils off-world?"